Is there a legal way to get iPhone unlocked

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by michael31986, Jul 17, 2016.

1. michael31986 macrumors 68030

is their anyway to get an att iPhone unlocked legally. I want to unlock my
    Phone for use in Portugal.

2. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

AT&T will unlock it if you're out of contract.

3. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

5. Freakonomics101 macrumors 6502a

Freakonomics101

Actually AT&T has unlocked an iPhone while under contract. They did for me, at least.

6. itsray macrumors 6502

you asked for a legal way and thats the way if you have AT&T.

you can still try to do the request anyway, if it doesn't work. oh well.

7. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

According to the link it says under service commitment: Your account must be active for at least 60 days with no past due or unpaid balance.

So if you're under a contract as you mentioned (service commitment) then you need to make sure your account meets at least 60 days and no balances.

However, if you're on a device installment plan then it likely wouldn't work until you paid off what is owed on the installment plan.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yeah those days are over.
    They are extra strict now.

9. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

That trust worthy? Wouldn't they steal my info?

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I used them before many times.
    They are legit.
    They wont steal your money or info.
    You use paypal to pay them.

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

All you give them is your IMEI.

12. cynics macrumors G3

Can't you pay the ETF and get it unlocked? Or are we looking for a free/cheap legal way?

13. SuperKerem macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

How are they even able to unlock the phone? Do they have access to Apple's lock-status database?

14. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

I remember the $1 ebay/amazon unlocks, those were the days.

15. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

There's a couple of ways…

1) They know an employee that works for the carrier who has access to the carrier system that submits IMEIs to Apple's database. That employee is given a list of IMEIs on a routine basis and is paid by the unlock company based on how many they submit.

2) An employee the unlock company knows has installed unauthorized software on the carriers computers that allows people from the unlock company to access those computers remotely and insert IMEIs into Apple's database from the carrier.

3) Other methods we may not know. Apple employees cannot submit IMEIs to the database though. The request has to come from the carrier.

The first one is well known, it's the second that got two employees from AT&T fired. AT&T discovered them because activity from certain computers was detected as happening during off-hours.

A third employee had sought out a job solely for the purpose of doing this. That employee was not hired. All three have been sued by AT&T and so has Swift Unlocks.

That's pretty much how it works.

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Huh, that's impressive given how much AT&T locks down their employee's computers. I was a software developer there for a long, miserable 7 years and had to have approval from my boss' boss to have admin rights on my computer (and I had a valid excuse), and it had to be renewed every year. I'm shocked a call center employee had the rights to install something like that.

I had no idea about that lawsuit though. I figured that's how SwiftUnlocks got it done but it's good to know my suspicions are confirmed. AT&T's obviously in the right here, but **** 'em. The ex-employee in me wants Swift to win.

17. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'm kind of on the fence about the lawsuit.

On the one hand you have a clear violation of company policies and procedures. But there's currently no law on the books that specifically prohibits this kind of thing - so my goody twoshoes sense of "That's ILLEGAL!" isn't tripping over this. Kind of a gray area here.

I imagine AT&T's lawsuit will succeed based on charges unrelated to the actual submission of the IMEIs.

In any case it's led to a much stricter adherence to corporate unlock policy I hear.

For anyone interested…

http://www.geekwire.com/2015/att-su...id-to-unlock-hundreds-of-thousands-of-phones/

18. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Why is AT&T still able to lock the phones, I thought the new law passed did away with this? I understand that if you finance the phone from AT&T you have to pay them back, whether you stay with them or leave for another carrier. But thats the case whether the phone is locked or unlocked. So why is AT&T able to keep the phone locked? Is it justified because they are essentially giving consumers an interest free loan on the phone?

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Me too.
    Those were the days man:)
    I would get all my family's iPhones unlocked while still under contract.
    They even had specials that went down to 80 cents an unlock.
    Now they're around $75-100 and they're not getting cheaper.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 20, 2016 ---

Probably still many people tied up with contracts before they stopped doing 2 year agreements.
    I think with the new next/jump/edge programs where you make payments on the device they shouldn't lock those. You're not under contract, you just finance the device.

20. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Because people assume.

The law states that the carriers must unlock whenever a device is paid off. But most people don't bother to look any further.

While the law does demand this people are surprised to learn that the law allows the carrier flexbility. They can and do demand other criteria, such as:

• A device has to be active for 'X' amount of days on a network
    • You must be a customer with an account in good standing
    • An unlock can be denied for technological reasons - i.e., the carrier says it's technologically impossible to unlock a particular device

The law does NOT prohibit the carriers from doing any of that - so long as anyone meeting those requirements gets their device unlocked or there is a valid technological reason for denying an unlock.

Beyond that, anything else you find is NOT a part of the law! It's the result of an AGREEMENT between all four carriers in order to AVOID any further legislation that those carriers may not like.

But again, all people want to see is the part about unlocking when paid off.

21. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

This is another reason why I'm glad Apple sells factory unlocked devices. I'll just stick to buying unlocked phones. I wish phones couldn't be locked to a carrier. With the new installment plans they shouldn't be because you have entered a legally binding agreement to still pay them back but you should be free to use whatever service you want if you don't like their service.

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

Thankfully at least with Verizon it ends up working out like that.

23. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

So swift unlocks is best. I wanted unlocked by next Friday for vacation. Don't thing it wil be in time. It says 15 days. Any other options and

24. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Have you tried requesting an unlock from AT&T?