Is there a lemon law for computers??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by workinstiff, Dec 28, 2009.

1. workinstiff macrumors newbie

In barely a year my IMAC has been in the shop for hardware issues 3 times..Tonight the external Klipsch speakers quit working..They're getting power, everything's plugged in...Yesterday the mouse just froze...I turned it off & 6 hrs later it worked....I know several people with IMACs who have had no problems...Luckily' I bought the three year protection plan or I'd be out over 1K....Does Apple have a procedure for dealing with lemon computers...If it's had this many problem in the first year I'm afraid it will get nothing but worse.....

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yes there is but check your state specific laws.

3. workinstiff thread starter macrumors newbie

Another thing: I've noticed that when I play a DVD, the screen gets very hot to the touch..Is this normal?....my old dell never had that problem...Thanks!...

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Like I said, yes but you must check your state specific laws.

5. harry*333 macrumors 6502a

harry*333

well the screen gets hot because the imac has all its internal components behind the screen and I'm assuming your dell wasn't like this because the imac is one of the only computers with this design

6. harry*333 macrumors 6502a

harry*333

oh and I've heard stories that if you get enough repairs done eventually they will replace it, but it depends on if they can find the current problem and how lazy the repair crew is

7. freesonwang macrumors member

Three is usually the magic number. If you get something (I believe it has to be the "same"/"similar" thing) repaired three times, they exchange your computer for a new one. My friend went from an old classic Macbook Pro to a new black-bezel one.