Is there a length limit to videos?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dimwhit, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I've got a nearly 11-hour video that iTunes is telling me won't play on my iPhone. It's on MP3, 480x208 (converted with VisualHub). By all accounts I can find, it should play. Anyone know why it won't play? Maybe a size limit? It's a 2.92GB file.

Please, PLEASE don't tell me I can just break it up into smaller files. I know I can. But I don't want to. If possible, I want the complete file on my iPhone.

2. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

If its on mp3 format its not a video its a music file. If you meant mp4 thats the correct format, but even some mp4 files won't be able to be put on an iPod/iPhone right off the bat. You may have to convert it to avi or some other sort of format then re-convert it to an iPhone compatible format, being mp4, but make sure that when you reconvert it your converter says it will be the right format for the iPhone.

3. Dimwhit thread starter macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Crap, yeah I meant MP4.

It started as a Quicktime .mov file (several, actually, that got stitched together), then went straight to mp4 by way of VisualHub. I've never had a problem with MP4s generated by VisualHub before. I've done this with several others and it was fine, but this one is giving me fits.

4. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

Yea, I use Visual Hub for all my iPhone video converting. Best app out there for a mac for it. I just today stitched two .flv files and converted them for my iPhone and had no problems. Did any errors come up in Visual Hub? I would guess that maybe IT IS too large for it to play. Out of curiousity what kind of video would be 11 hours long? if it was a tv show and was split into episode might as well keep it like that? unless you needed to stitch them for it to make sense.

5. Dimwhit thread starter macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

No errors at all. And it plays great on my computer. As to the video, the extended version of all three LotR movies with credits (opening and closing) cut out, stitched together in a continuous file, is 10 hours 56 minutes 14 seconds long. :)

6. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Sorry, no help here...

just wanted to say, nice! :)

7. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

Ha that would make sense :p. But it may be just to big for the iPhone to handle. Just convert them into three sections then it will probably work.

8. Dimwhit thread starter macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

That's what I'm afraid of. I'm trying to avoid three different files, if possible. Maybe I'll call Apple and ask them directly if there is a limit.

9. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

I've had trouble with .wav files before on my iPhone. I can play them fine on iTunes but never works on my iPhone because the file is too big for the iPhone to handle, The original mp3 was 3.4 mb, but since i .wav are much better in quality it was 21mb, so it was too big of a music file for such a short song for the iPhone to process that it just skipped over it.

10. Dimwhit thread starter macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Now I'm stumped. I split it into three movies, but they still won't copy to the iPhone. It's only a 3 hour 20 minute file, less than 1GB, but it 'can't be played.'

Any ideas? I'm converting from .mov to .mp4 with VisualHub, which has been creating perfectly usable files in the past.