Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haqsha23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2017
Mississauga
I tried this on two separate iDevices and if you are signed on the same account it will share the same checkout cart and you will run into the same issue with it limiting everything to just one iPhone. I imagine using a separate apple account should get around this.. I have no idea if doing a quick consecutive order will work or not.
I have 2 separate Apple ID's on each phone and it definitely is a workaround to the limitation.

Reactions: Miao Ying

ray737

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
Having tested with the apple store app and trying the check out process with an iPhone 8+, it would not let me have more than one iPhone in the bag before check out. It gives an error saying, “Only one carrier-activated iPhone can be ordered at a time. Please make sure only one carrier-activated iPhone is in your bag”. Basically the Apple store app won’t let you proceed to checkout until you reduce your bag to only one iPhone.

I cannot speak on other methods, but if you were thinking of ordering more than one iPhone with the iOS app it won’t let you get any further until you reduce the order to just one iPhone.

You can order up to 2 iPhones. I just tried and it allows a maximum of 2 iPhone 8s

Miao Ying

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2010
You can order up to 2 iPhones. I just tried and it allows a maximum of 2 iPhone 8s

If this is for sim free iphone, yes that is allowable.

For the iPhone X in particular the pre-order offerings only allow a selection of one of the 4 US carriers, no sim free option exists yet. Under these circumstances (when a carrier is selected, as its the only selectable option) it only lets me place one phone in the bag.

I need to try if different carriers are selected if it will allow more than one...

Reactions: WSPAN1C

ray737

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
If this is for sim free iphone, yes that is allowable.

For the iPhone X in particular the pre-order offerings only allow a selection of one of the 4 US carriers, no sim free option exists yet. Under these circumstances (when a carrier is selected, as its the only selectable option) it only lets me place one phone in the bag.

f7918427e4e82b1ab3ac510e0a75b8aa.jpg

haqsha23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2017
Mississauga
So ok to return an open box (in the UK)?
Sorry, I'm not sure what you are asking?
[doublepost=1508961998][/doublepost]
It's a godsend that they limit it to two, honestly. Scalpers are out of control with this stuff.
I can't stand scalpers. If you buy an extra one to sell, that's not really that bad. But those who buy up 10-20-50-100 of them, clean out the supply using their computer generated purchasing system that completes orders at 12:01.01 meaning no stock left for us; yea, that's a piss off. I really think limiting it to one phone per Apple ID would be even better. To be honest, the only reason Apple cares at all and even did anything is because they got tired of customers getting what should be Apple's profits.

Last edited:

Miao Ying

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2010
It seems my test has confirmed you cannot have more than one carrier-activated phone regardless of model, color or memory capacity. If the two devices are on the same carrier network you can only have one in checkout for your order. If the phones you have are of different carrier networks you are allowed to add one (in the same checkout transaction) and only ONE of its carrier type again regardless of model (6, 7, 8, X), color or memory capacity. [Example: one Verizon activated iPhone, one {different carrier} activated iPhone, but never more than one of the same carrier type.]

This simply applies to my tests on the iOS apple store app, may or may not apply to website as I haven’t tried in that method as of yet.
[doublepost=1508962396][/doublepost]

Yes this screen shot posted confirms that you can buy 2 sim free models simultaneously as shown in your picture. Carrier-activated models (which is the only selectable option for iPhone X) won’t let you get past one if you test it for iPhones already available (tested with same 8+)

Last edited:
Reactions: WSPAN1C

lsh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
I thought for IUP, you can only buy 1 at a time - that’s the way I read the IUP faq. It makes sense since each is a separate contract.

I also understand you can’t include anything else in that order. I preapproved 2. I’m assuming I need to check out twice.

I have a third family phone not currently on IUP. I was going to try that as a third purchase and if not successful, order thru ATT.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
Sorry, I'm not sure what you are asking?
[doublepost=1508961998][/doublepost]
I can't stand scalpers. If you buy an extra one to sell, that's not really that bad. But those who buy up 10-20-50-100 of them, clean out the supply using their computer generated purchasing system that completes orders at 12:01.01 meaning no stock left for us; yea, that's a piss off. I really think limiting it to one phone per Apple ID would be even better. To be honest, the only reason Apple cares at all and even did anything is because they got tired of customers getting what should be Apple's profits.

During the 6/6Plus launch the line I was in contained 110 guys all from the same family and/or getting paid by the same guy to buy all the Plus stock. I was offered to join in, and told them to **** off. Apple is definitely not doing enough to combat it because at the end of the day they're getting tons of business regardless, but this is good enough IMO. Hope this isn't an issue this year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.