Is there a link between O2's Edge and 3G coverage?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jimf123, Mar 26, 2009.

1. jimf123 macrumors member

Hello everyone. I'm using the original 2G Edge iPhone here in the UK on O2. At home I get very poor reception, rarely seeing much Edge reception and sometimes struggling with GPRS, despite O2 maps showing me in a good area for data.

My question is, as and when I upgrade to the 3g iPhone, does the fact that I don't get much Edge mean it's unlikely I'll get much 3g, or is it commonplace that O2 could be using a 3g transmitter in my area but not an Edge transmitter but obviously my original iPhone can't take advantage of the 3g signal?

Thanks all.

2. The Phazer macrumors 68030

No, they're different radios, so they won't necessarily have any correlation. It's possible that O2's chosen to focus it's efforts on 3G in the same areas it's focused it's effors on Edge, but it's also entirely possible they haven't. No guarantees in any direction.

Phazer

3. synagence macrumors 6502a

Yep ... the UK didn't really go for Edge in a big way ... most of the networks skipped it and went straight from basic GPRS to HSDPA (both standard and now enhanced to 7.2Mbit) ... So the O2 network generally has better 3G coverage than Edge

4. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I find that 3G is much more widespread than Edge. I get 3G most places I go, but if I turn 3G off, it tends not to go to Edge much, althuogh I am in London.

On the other end of the scale, my parents' home is located in a large village/small town in rural Essex which has no Edge or 3G and I'm stuck there on GRPS (unless I'm on Wi-Fi of course).

Most major towns I've been to seem to have 3G though.

5. jimf123 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. It's what I was hoping to hear. Basicall there's a good chance of 3g even though edge isn't too good for me. Just gotta wait for the new phone now!

Cheers.

6. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

I tend to just use GPRS (turn 3G off) because 3G reception in Edinburgh is pretty poor, not to mention the network is just as slow as GPRS/EDGE.

7. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

I don't know, but more often than enough, I'm just getting the little "o" (GPS? :confused:) and rarley 3G or Edge. Unless I'm in a city center, then it's usually 3G. I hardly see Edge.

8. grantw89 macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure there is a thing on the O2 website u can use to find out if your area has 3G coverage.