Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
With newer Macs, there are lots of accessories out there, things like from Twelve South or those Sabrent USB hubs for iMacs.

Were there accessories like this for the PPC market years ago? All I can really think of are the G-Technology external drives that resemble the PowerMac G5.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
With newer Macs, there are lots of accessories out there, things like from Twelve South or those Sabrent USB hubs for iMacs.

Were there accessories like this for the PPC market years ago? All I can really think of are the G-Technology external drives that resemble the PowerMac G5.
Lots of stuff. And lots of stuff are still applicable.

PowerPC Macs were on the market from the late 90s until mid-2006.

What specifically are you looking for?

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Nothing specific. It would be nice to add to my collection. Stuff like a TwelveSouth Backpack. Just little things like that. I’ve tried searching online and all I’m finding are keyboards.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I thought Hubzilla by Charismac was pretty cool back in 2002-2003…

hubzilla.jpg

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Just thinking about a few of my favourite PowerPC era devices which are still going strong...

I have two different 2004 vintage LaCie 'F.A Porsche' design Firewire DVD burners, one of which had the short lived "Lightscribe" tech. I laser 'scribed a few discs in my time with it. I've often used one of these as a powered Firewire 3.5" HDD enclosure for gaining access to IDE/PATA drives I may otherwise not be able to.

Another device I would be unlikely to let go of is my Elgato EyeTV E410 which is a cool little unit for watching digital TV on the Mac. It sits perfectly atop the G5. Playback and recording is seamless with the EyeTV version 3 software. Playback of the HD channels is not so great on a G4 though.

Another favourite little firewire device is my Canopus ADVC-55 which I have long used as an anologue video input for the G5. It handles real-time encoding of RCA or S-video A/V input. Latency is next to nil which meant it allowed me to play console games (primarily a PS2 at the time) on the G5's cinema display just like a regular TV set. It also allowed easy capturing of those games as well as from the trusty old VCR. It's amazing how many old VHS movies never made it to DVD. I occasionally did audio captures from the old video tapes (often b-grade horror movies from the 70's and 80's) for sampling in music productions.

If you're going for external Apple products which were PowerPC-specific, then an iPod classic (touch wheel, U2 special, etc), an early iPod mini, Shuffle or Nano (or even the original 20GB Firewire brick-pod) would be a perfect compliment. I still use my 8GB Blue iPod Nano on a near-daily basis - somehow the battery is still kicking along just fine.

Another PowerPC-era device which I have relied upon almost daily since 2003 is my original Digidesign Mbox 1. It's a USB1.1 powered audio I/O with two channel XLR/TRS inputs with Mic and instrument pre-amps, phantom power, SPDIF I/O, TRS outputs, TRS inserts and headphone 3.5 and 6.5mm outputs. It's such a humble little device but manages to allow my G5 to process 48Khz 24-bit audio I/O in realtime, with relatively low latency in Pro Tools LE 7.4 and Ableton Live 8. If you're interested in audio production, look around for the Digi 002 or 002R which is an 8 channel Firewire I/O.

M-Audio USB powered Midi performance controllers like the MK49 or Oxygen 8 are great little PowerPC compatible keyboards from the era too.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
If anything, I'd almost say that Mac "accessories" were more plentiful back in the day than they are now, where standard USB peripherals often work fine.

There were a LOT of things that were made to match the look of the iMac G3.

One of the big names in those days was MacAlly. Of course, Sonnet and OWC are ever-present players.

Some things that come to mind from that era:

Two button scroll wheel mice in translucent/colored plastic
USB floppy drives in pinstriped translucent plastic with an interchangeable plastic "snap on" front cover to match your iMac
Iomega LS120 drives in both Bondi and plain translucent white
MacAlly full-size iMac USB keyboard(complete with a power key) for the iMac
Griffin iMate(lets you use an ADB KB/mouse with USB)
Griffin iMic(USB dongle for Audio In on the Cube, DA, and QS)

I have some really interesting iMac docks that I think are Macally branded. They computer sits on top of them on a "Lazy Susan" type platter, and they contain a floppy drive, USB hub, ADB port, and serial port.

That's just off the top of my head. If you can buy computers "in place" from people who bought them new, you can pretty easily end up with a nice collection of accessories.

BTW, the iMac aftermarket industry is similar to what happened ~15 years before with the original compact Macs. There are a mind boggling number of accessories for those also.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have a Fantom Drives DataDock II. Attached to my G3 server it's got two brand new WD Red 1TB hard drives for 2TB of RAID storage. The G3 has a PCI SATA card and I have it connected via an eSATA cable.

22-207-024-02.jpg

fantom-datadock-ii-back_nmqy.jpg

Fantom_DDQ_2000P_DataDock_II_Quad_Interface_830980.jpg

I swear by these Belkin Bluetooth USB adapters. Native BT 2.0 for any Mac that never came with it.

s-l500.jpg

31wsoeSV8ZL._SY300_.jpg

Belkin F8T001
s-l640.jpg

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Great ideas everyone! Thanks.

I wish I had kept my El Gato tuner. I forget which model but it was one of the better ones. I sold it because I wasn’t using it, then got a Canapos, I believe the one mentioned.

I’ll search eBay. I just don’t have any space for all this.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.