Is there a list of thermal sensor locations anywhere?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Projekt, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Projekt macrumors member

Diagnostic reveals a shot thermal sensor at location "GPU0" on my 2006 macbook pro- I've looked everywhere but can't seem to find any documentation with the location of this sensor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's your graphics chip, which is an ATI Mobility Radeon X1600.

3. Projekt thread starter macrumors member

So the sensor is on the chip itself? Opening the case I see several sensors scattered on either side of the heat-sink, the keyboard backing, etc. One of them is on the heatsink right next to the graphic chip- is there any documentation on which sensor is which?

The visible sensors plug right into the logic board and seem easy enough to replace, but if the sensor in question is built into the chip it would pretty much impossible to fix, correct?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Correct. I recommend you take it to Apple and ask them to diagnose the problem. They may tell you that you need a new logic board, but if you get a Genius who knows what they're doing, they may be able to give you more detailed information.

5. Projekt thread starter macrumors member

I did manage to get it figured out, I just figured I'd update in case anyone runs into this problem in the future.

The GPU0 sensor is affixed to the righthand side of the copper heatpipe underneath the logic board. Inspection on my machine revealed it to be heavily corroded and coated in white grime. I found a whole heatpipe assembly on ebay (sensor included) for less than 10 dollars and replaced the entire thing. The sensor now registers and the fans run normally.

Thanks for everyone's help!