is there a lot of difference between the 256mb or 512mb GT when using final cut pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sensithreads, Feb 17, 2010.

1. sensithreads macrumors newbie

sensithreads

is there a lot of difference between the 256mb or 512mb GT when using final cut pro?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

None, as the current version and former versions of FCP don't rely on the GPU but on the CPU.

Motion and Color use the GPU in addition to the CPU though, but as long as you don't use complex setups, the 256MB version should be fine for those two programs.

Use MRoogle to find similar thread.

3. sensithreads thread starter macrumors newbie

sensithreads

Hmmm i am having trouble deciding which to get, the 2.66 or the 2.8....

the 2.8 has better vram (which u say isn't that important)

it also apparently has twice the cache...

I think i may opt for the latter but I'm still not sure..

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

When i bought my 15" MBP I went for the 512MB card and the bigger cache.

After it was stolen and I had the opportunity to buy another MBP I went with the 17" for the same reasons (bigger cache and 512MB card) plus the Express Card slot and Matte.

But a lot of threads seem to indicate that the bigger cache and double the VRAM does not really make a difference.

MRoogle might be able to help you finding those threads.

5. mattydee87 macrumors regular

Well like spinnerlys said, it will run for FCP with 256MB but obviously 512mb wouldn't hurt if that's what you want and can afford? I know which one I would get if I could afford!

6. sensithreads thread starter macrumors newbie

sensithreads

for an extra £105 it seems like a sensible upgrade for wat u get. thx for ur help

7. MADMAXX macrumors member

In the 9 months Ive had mine (I use it for photography) I have only switched to the more powerful card twice. Both occasions were to see how it performed rather than it needed it. Having said that the older it gets the more I see the requirement for it.