Is there a MacBook pro skin that doesn't require wet install?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alleyooptroop, Mar 9, 2011.

1. alleyooptroop macrumors regular

Looking for something like bse, zagg or wrapsol that has the adhesive already on it. Thanks in advance for any replies!

2. NewToMac11 macrumors member

i just bought the icarbon carbon fiber skin, they got the install vids on there site dont mention nothing about useing liquid, just some heat on the edges if having trouble getting it to stretch/stick.

3. Ccrew macrumors 68020

4. Miss Terri, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011

Miss Terri macrumors 6502

Okay, let me start by saying that normally I hate it when I post a query, and then people answer with something that I just said I specifically did NOT want :rolleyes:

As I do just that ... :eek:

I AM going to go look up the Carbon one, just because I like to see what is available and I did not know about it when I was choosing. But, I thought I would reply from the perspective of someone who was VERY nervous about using water to apply a skin to a brand new MBP. I mean, come on, WATER :eek:

But, I did. (A bestskinsever... if you are interested see AlphaDogg's review with my comments.)

And it was really not too scary once I got going. The only place I still am too concerned to apply it is the trackpad, because I'm not sure how well the edges of it are sealed.

What I did was start with the back cover, which I completely removed from the computer, so there was no risk. That gave me some experience in how it would handle.

Next I did the top, and before-hand I used some blue tape to tape thin plastic over the keyboard and ports, then placed a thin dishtowel over the keyboard and partially closed the lid (in retrospect, I think the towel alone would have been fine, as it is not mass quantities of water).

For the sides, I taped off open ports, and the crack where the bottom case meets the top case.

Okay, well not to bore you with the whole thing, but I did want to just mention this since I was SO nervous about using water/soap! I'm trying to imagine how one would line up the edges of a super-accurately cut adhesive skin without being able to move it slightly before it stuck. Obviously it must be possible.

Now to go check out the Carbon :)

Edit: The iCarbon looks pretty neat! I think I might buy one instead of my BSE, except one thing I can't tell for sure, although I watched a few youtube install videos: It looks like maybe the iCarbon does not go as close to the edges of the MBP. I'm not sure I'd want to give that up. But... very cool!

Miss Terri

PS: The bse-type skins actually do have the adhesive on them already. It's just that they are very precisely cut (go right to the edges) and without using water it would be (nearly?) impossible to get them placed properly. The small amount of soapy water gives you a window of time where you can move them around and get them just right. The adhesive actually doesn't stick until the water is gone.

5. markeemarc21 macrumors newbie

markeemarc21

You could try looking up the SurfacePad from TwelveSouth. They make awesome products and the black leather on the MacBook Pro is nice. It gives it a different look. Here's the link: http://twelvesouth.com/products/surfacepad/

6. lurrego macrumors member

^ too bad they don't even have anything for the top and bottom of the macbook that ISNT a thick book-looking case...

7. alleyooptroop thread starter macrumors regular

I thought bse required water/soap solution for install?

8. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Perhaps the water and soap softens the glue, making it sticky???

9. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

The BSE (and I presume, similar skins) have the adhesive on them when you buy them. You add the water/soap mixture just so that you can slide them around to position them, before smoothing them down. They are cut very precisely so I think it would be (nearly?) impossible to get them on properly otherwise.

As a normal part of the install, the corners retain water a bit longer and don't stick down right away. The instructions say to just wait 15 minutes or so and then go back and work on the corners. They add something like "Don't add more water to try to get the corners to stick down; the adhesive is not water activated/based and more water will just prolong the waiting."

So, I don't think you could apply a BSE/etc. without liquid, but just that the liquid is not part of the "glue." It was just a minor technical point since you typed that the BSE etc. did not already have the adhesive on them.

I only mentioned in the thread at all because although I was VERY nervous about using liquid to apply it, I found it to be really easy once I got going. I thought that you might find that to be useful info in case you didn't find a dry type skin you liked.

MT

10. blulegend macrumors regular

So did you guys buy the 2010 version for the new 2011s? No problems fitting?

11. alleyooptroop thread starter macrumors regular

From everything I've read the only difference between '10 and '11 is the thunderbolt port. All dimensions are exactly the same.