Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

preyan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
South Africa
Would you consider a new Apple gadget that has the iPhone and iPad in 1?
Personally I think there’s a market. I personally toggle between my iPad and iPhone at night. I’m use it not, no option, but it would be nice to have 1 gadget for both.

theMarble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2020
Earth, Sol System, Alpha Quadrant
Apple gadget that has the iPhone and iPad in 1
So something that would be similar to the Galaxy Z Fold series? When folded, you get a tall and skinny 6.2" display, and when un-folded a 7.6" tablet sized screen (4:3, same as the 12.9" iPP and older CRT TV's).

I think it (a foldable iPhone) would be a nice product, however it would most likely be extremely expensive (somewhere in the $1499-1699 range) for the first-gen version. It would also cannibalize the Pro Max in the lineup, being the best iPhone with the best display.

Personally, I can't see myself spending that much on a mobile device as I don't have much use for a tablet-sized device. My phone handles all phone-related tasks, plus being my main camera, while everything else I do is handled by my MBP.

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2015
NY
So something that would be similar to the Galaxy Z Fold series? When folded, you get a tall and skinny 6.2" display, and when un-folded a 7.6" tablet sized screen (4:3, same as the 12.9" iPP and older CRT TV's).

I think it (a foldable iPhone) would be a nice product, however it would most likely be extremely expensive (somewhere in the $1499-1699 range) for the first-gen version. It would also cannibalize the Pro Max in the lineup, being the best iPhone with the best display.

Personally, I can't see myself spending that much on a mobile device as I don't have much use for a tablet-sized device. My phone handles all phone-related tasks, plus being my main camera, while everything else I do is handled by my MBP.
If you're looking at it from the perspective of buying a separate iPhone Pro and iPad Pro, that can cost you upwards of $1800-$2000. Or an iPhone Pro and a iPad mini (roughly the size of the unfolded phone, I think $1499 is a fair price for it, most likely will be around that $1999 price point knowing Apple though. I'd personally be interested in it. Especially if I can dock it to a (mini) magic keyboard and external display.

At the same time, as someone who really likes the iPhone mini sized phone, I'd rather they just make a new one of those that can dock to a screen with stage manager. I'd experiment with an iPhone as my only computer again. I'd imagine this would be a potential feature for a regular iPhone, or folding iPhone if they ever discontinue the iPad line.

One thing I like about the candy bar style phones is whenever I put it in my pocket, it wipes away smudges on my screen. You couldn't really get that on a folding device.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
iPadOS and iOS are basically the same thing so I guess they are already a 2 in 1 with the only real difference being size. A Max sized iPhone, to me, would cover that market as it’s a great balance between screen size and portability.

MacMan2013

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2023
Wouldn't this basically be an Ipad Cellular, i.e. an Ipad that can make phone calls.

preyan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
South Africa

Yes. An Apple competitor to Samsung Galaxy Fold. That device I think is around some of the top end prices for iPhone. Apple may charge a slightly more premium, but the convenience of not picking up 2 devices to do different things - WhatsApp, movies, and also different apps loaded on each because it’s not compatible (screen size wise) with the other device.

Look at the Fold and Flip prices in comparison to iPhone prices (from normal to max). Credit where it’s due, Samsung has come long way to be THE iPhone competitor in the market.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
certainly a market for it but not sure you will be able to get the best tech in a 2 in 1 due to space and cost. foldables are great but still have flaws to replace the main iphone for example. The real 2 in 1 will be when we get glasses long into the future.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
There is probably a market but not huge because it would mainly be a subset of the small tablet market which is already not huge.

I don’t think folding 2-in-1s would bring too many non-small tablet users into the market because I venture to guess that most people who don’t have a small tablet are content enough with their phone screen size options. And if they do want a bigger screen, maybe they prefer it to be an even bigger screen. To get those users to bite on a 2-in-1, there would have to be very little cons. But even assuming the tech is flawless, the cons are significant—double phone thickness in pocket, awkward aspect ratios, and increased price.
Although with double thickness, maybe there would be an increase in battery life, and maybe many would welcome that.

Some small tablet users also wouldn't want the cons of combining. It would be a slightly different set of cons though. Increased price of the phone wouldn’t matter since you’re saving money on not buying a second device. But an added con would be lower total battery life since it’s one device. And then some of the same cons such as double phone thickness. But I’d say a decent amount of small tablet users would probably be interested.

I am a small tablet user myself but I’m a bit of a different case because I don’t want to use my iPad Mini outside of my home. I want to do all my consumption only at home, so I don’t want anything bigger than a phone when I’m out. Also, I would prefer an even smaller tablet that could fit into my pocket so that I could easily keep it with me around my home, something like 7” which really blurs the line between phone and tablet. But that is unlikely to ever exist so as a compromise, I would be interested in a folding iPad Mini, but it would stay at home, and I would keep my phone.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I would stick with having my iPad and iPhone separate. I do not like the idea of a foldable iPhone. I’m happy with my Pro Max, iPad Pro and Mini.

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
I actually would love a hybrid device that is a iPhone that plugs into a MacBook shell and acts as a logic board for a MacBook. iOS in your hand and macOS when plugged into the MacBook case. All your files on one device. I always wanted something like Dex but with iOS

Wizec

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2019
I’d like to see an all in one solution.

iPad 11” that you snap an iPhone Pro into to power it.

When on the phone you get iOS. Docked into the back of the iPad you get iPadOS.

Dock the iPad onto a USB-C hub/dock device that has one or monitors plugged in and you get macOS…

At my desk I have full bore power and screens. Pick up the iPad and move to the couch to sketch, read or watch a show. Pop the iPhone out and slip it into my pocket when ready to leave the house and go fully mobile.

Oh, and for this scenario, only the iPhone has an SOC 😊

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.