Is there a marketplace here?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Drag'nGT, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

I see it in the archives and it's got recent posts... kinda. I saw something that said you needed over 100 posts to get in and I have that but I still don't see a marketplace. Is something wrong with my account?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Marketplace_Rules:

3. Drag'nGT thread starter macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

And 6 months membership

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. ZeroCorpse macrumors member

A bit excessive and arbitrary, I think. Some people do few posts, but they're in-depth, intelligent, and useful... While others do thousands of posts, and they're all little "LOL!" posts.

Why not base it on time alone?

6. aethelbert macrumors 601

If it is based on time alone, someone can join without posting at all for x amount of days and then gain access to the marketplace. The point of the limitations is to create a more secure environment where everyone has a general idea of who they're dealing with. That cannot be obtained with someone who rarely participates in the forum.

If you see people posting meaningless things (as the aforementioned "LOL!" posts), use the report button, as they are quite often in violation of some forum rule(s).

7. youssefm macrumors 6502

Yeah, I like the 250 post thing because honestly, I wouldn't want a million scammers and people posting fake junk in the marketplace, so it adds a feeling of safety and security when shopping around

8. politickle macrumors member

Best post in this thread, I think. I don't get time to post and post and post. I'd love to buy a keyboard or post in the political section but I'm not going to go around spamming just to use certain parts of the forum.

9. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Then don't. No one is asking you go go around spamming, but if you are an active, involved and consistent member then it will be clear that you value being here and most likely won't do anything dumb if given those privledges. I believe that putting those limits on there is the best way to ensure that we're going to encounter quality people in those forums.

And trust me, the mods around here are quality as well. If someone is spamming just to get access to the marketplace, they will be found out.

10. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

this has been discussed over and over and over and over....

the rules are the rules for various reasons, you know what they are, you know what you need to gain marketplace access.

11. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, they will ... normally, those types can be found posting "Nice one" in every thread in the 5,000,000 Post Contest section ...

12. politickle macrumors member

I won't. Not because I don't want to but because I can't. I work very long hours at a very difficult job and that doesn't allow me much free time.

I didn't say they did, it is clear that people do it just to build up a few posts.

Privilege? To post on a certain part of the board. Internet seriousness overload.

13. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

There is a reason for it:

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you are about being part of the community, the requirement isn't very stringent.

Just make 1-2 posts a day (yes that means visiting MR every day at 10 posts a week) and over 6 months you'll have access to the marketplace. Come here, look at the front page, click a few ads, reply the Page 1 and Page 2 threads; that's it.

The key is to be able to be both insightful (most of the time) while contributing to the community.

Also even with these requirements, we still end up with the occasional mishap.

15. politickle macrumors member

6 months! To have a look at for something I might want today. Being a doctor means that I can't be online every day.

I'm just giving my opinion on it, I don't expect anything to change. Just throwing it out there. Doesn't really matter to me, I'll just use ebay or a different site. I'd imagine that it stops quite a few sales for the seller, though.

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well I wouldn't let your profession get in the way of enjoying some socializing.

Just putting it out there: Friend (and my doctor) spends a few minutes here and there to get away from the profession by posting on forums from time to time).

17. politickle macrumors member

I work in the Accident and Emergency :D

''Hold that heart attack for a second, I just need to boost my post count on Mac Rumors'' </kidding>

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Oh in that case, skip MR ;)

19. marold280 macrumors 6502

marold280

i am one of the people who do the "LOL!" posts. I used to do informative ones. but i realised that to get to 250 i needed to think less and post more. once ive got 250 though i shall be back to where i was :D

20. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

We definitely appreciate new members and those who want to contribute, but note that 1-word posts that don't add anything to the discussion are usually deleted, and will therefore not serve to increase your post count any. :)

Things Not to Do
    Useless posts. Do not bother making posts with only one or two words (e.g., LOL) or a smilie, or post simply to have the first reply in a thread. Such posts waste everyone's time and will be deleted. Posts saying "I agree", "+1", "me too", or the equivalent are also routinely removed.​

21. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

For every potential sale a valid buyer / seller loses, we avoid many more disingenuous transactions taking place. Don't you think?