Is there a minimize all yet?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by davidd31415, Apr 3, 2011.

1. davidd31415, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2011

davidd31415 macrumors newbie

I Googled and found several older posts which stated that there is not a minimize all for OSX. Is this still the case?

I realize there are plenty of different ways to do things but I really like using the dock/taskbar for quick program restore/minimize. I don't consider it cluttered to have a lot of icons down there; in fact, more the opposite. If I know where all those icons are I feel very organized and orderly. With Mac I am continuously using Expose and application switcher, looking for the app (since they're not in the same place every time like they would be in a taskbar/dock).

I'd also like to find a way to keep applications in the dock even when they are not minimized. This way the icons will not constantly be reordering themselves.

I thought that Win7 had ripped off Mac with their new taskbar. That clearly isn't the case. Is there a way to get a dock similar to Win7 on OSX?

I need to add to this...

Even when using the Mac methods to change between different applications I am running into problems.

For instance, I've used command+H on a few programs. Specifically the photo viewer and two instances of Chrome. They are both still visible when I command + tab. However, stopping on them when command + tabbing results in.. nothing as far as I can tell. I've tried swiping four fingers to the right and clicking on Chrome or iPhoto. Still, nothing. If I click on the icons on the dock the programs will restore (well, kind of- I can not seem to restore the second instance of Chrome no matter what I do).

Any suggestions? I'm frustrated but I'm still trying to learn how to use this OS. I'm going to give it a whole week before I decide if I want to keep this Macbook Air.

Ugh, and sometimes when I close a program it still shows up when I command tab...

2. Nero Wolfe, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2011

Nero Wolfe macrumors regular

Nero Wolfe

Option + Minimize Button will minimize all windows of a specific app. Option + Clicking on a minimized window will restore all windows of a specific app. This also works with the close button as well.

To keep an icon in the Dock right-click on it, then Options, Keep in Dock. Or, just move the icon somewhere else in the Dock when it's running and it will stay in the Dock.

Closing the last (or only) window does not necessarily quit an app. To do so, go to the Menu Bar, click the app name, then Quit. Or use CMD-Q.

This article goes into the reasons behind the differences bewtween OS X and Windows and why things work the way they do:

Ars Technica Article

3. -aggie-, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2011

-aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Just go to System Preferences>Exposé & Spaces >Exposé>Then make Desktop an Active Screen Corner (I use the bottom left). No mess, no fuss.

4. aeaglex07 macrumors 6502

aeaglex07

5. SgtP3pp3r macrumors member

i'm using iSnap, it costs $1 off the app store,

It has a wiggle function that lets you wiggle a window and it'll minimize every other window in that space; wiggle again to un-minimize. It also has a snapping function to snap a window into half the page (top, bottom, left or right), or, one fourth of the page on a corner.

Functionality very similar to the stuff u get on Win7 for one buck.

doesnt seem like asking much ;D

6. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I do the same. No need for minimize all, just go to an empty space.

7. HEB macrumors member

Just assign "Hide All Applications" automation to a keystroke via Apptivate off the App Store.