Is there a need for an Air 3 yet?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thedon1, Nov 12, 2015.

1. thedon1 macrumors 6502

We didn't get an Air 3 this year so the Air 2 has to live on for another year.
    Given the recent data that showed most people are still using the iPad 2, and slowing iPad sales due to a much less frequent upgrade cycle than expected, is there any real need for an Air 3 yet?

For most users, the Air 1 is probably fast enough for pretty much everything they do. If you need the cutting edge, the Pro is probably for you.

Anyone think this will lead to less frequent updates in the future?

2. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

There was no "Need" for the Air 2, other than to fatten Apple's already overflowing cash haul.

3. KPOM macrumors G5

I think we'll see a 2 year cycle for iPad updates. This year they introduced the iPad Pro and updated the mini. Next year they might update the iPad Air to be a "mini" iPad Pro (A9/A9X, Pencil support, but no special keyboard). In 2017 they can update the iPad mini to an A10 (Pencil support questionable) and release an updated iPad Pro with an A11X. It probably depends on how well the iPad Pro does.

4. iDanny26 macrumors regular

iDanny26

I think it will come at some point next year, and maybe even with support for the keyboard and pencil. You can never be sure though.

5. CE3 macrumors 6502a

As someone who owned both Air models, I disagree. The Air 2 offered a very welcome performance boost over the Air 1. When you work with programs like Auria Pro that take full advantage of the iPad's resources, the extra RAM and processing power make a difference.

Both models are great. I don't think an update was needed this year (+ it gives the Pro a better chance to sell), but sometime next year for sure.

6. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

I respect your position.

I just passed my Air 1 on to a family member when I bought my Air 2. But for most people the difference is of no advantage.

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

There isn't necessarily a need for it, but if they want any chance of people upgrading their old iPads they will need one. I'd guess at this point in the cycle it is one of three groups of people buying them, People getting their first tablet, switching from an android tablet, or replacing their broken older iPad. I don't think anyone is still getting up and deciding that they want to replace a working older iPad with the Air 2.

8. Macalway macrumors 68020

Yes, now there is. No reason they can't use the better chip now.

9. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

There's nothing that my Air 2 can't do right now so I'm not sure what the Air 3 would bring. Perhaps

- 2nd gen Touch ID
    - A9X
    - 4gb Ram (like the Pro)
    - Pencil compatibility
    - New sleeker chassis
    - 3D Touch
    - Better battery life

I'm not sure any of these would make me upgrade in isolation, but some combo of them might. Apple has a way of getting me to part with my cash.

10. playaproved, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015

playaproved macrumors 6502

I'd like an Air 3 with pencil support, new Touch ID, 3D Touch and a body similar to the iPhone 6/6S.