is there a new firmware update for the iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bluelondon, Jul 23, 2008.

1. bluelondon macrumors regular

i read some people saying they upgraded to the new firmware and it helped with the battery life issue, is it true? and where can we find the update..

thx

2. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

347? Just restore your iPhone.
    iTUnes automatically downloads the update.

3. bluelondon thread starter macrumors regular

is there any way to check what firmware is currently on my iphone? just to see if itunes has already upgraded it

4. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

Settings > General > About > Version

5. carlitol macrumors member

carlitol

Go to settings/ General/ about/ on your iphone and look at the version number. If it is 2.0 (5A347) you are current. If not restore the phone after saving contacts. Done deal...

6. bluelondon thread starter macrumors regular

thanks guys. ok 2 questions

1) how do i save contacts and then restore later? do i let itunes do its 5 hour "backing up iphone" thing when i connect via USB?

2) how do i restore the everything back onto the iphone after resetting?

3) will i lose any data by restoring? apps, pics, settings, etc.

thank you and sorry for all the questions. i'm trying everything i can before i go back to apple and ask for an exchange due to bad battery life.

7. neski macrumors member

ok mine is 2.0 (5A345)
    not 2.0 (5A347)
    Do you think i should restore mine?

8. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

1. Let iTunes do a backup, its sucks it takes ages but you won't loose anything. Contacts are also in your Address Book, so you could also make a copy of the information just in case.

2. Connect up to iTunes and click "Restore". It will take ages but just let it do its thing.

3. No, you shouldn't lose anything if everything is backed up in iTunes. After the new firmware is installed you have the option of setting your iPhone up as "new" or applying all your settings from your backup.

9. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

I restore mine to 5A347 and it helped with the keyboard typing lag issue.

10. bluelondon thread starter macrumors regular

cheers mate, much appreciated.

have you noticed any improvement in battery life with the new firmware?

11. neski macrumors member

Ok thanks for that. Ill do it now. Im sure a new update will come out soon anyway.

12. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

Well, personally for me if I have WiFi turned on it sucks the life out of the battery. I only have 3G enabled. No WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth etc. Only turn them on when needed. I can go for days without charging. I should also mention that Push email is turned off. I use Fetch and set it to Manual.

13. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I need to do this upgrade as well but can anyone confirm that your text messages get saved? I don't want to lose my texts :eek:

Otherwise, I may well just wait until the next update, negating the whole issue of having to restore. The update process will take a long time and if I so much as get a call or text during that time the whole thing will be cancelled and I'll have to start again.. :eek:

Is this all worth it?

14. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

I didn't lose any texts when I did a Restore. Just make sure everything is backed up in iTunes first. You shouldn't be able to receive calls or texts while restoring as it effectively formats the iPhone and deletes all settings. Any calls will go straight to voicemail.

15. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Thanks. I'll try that tonight then.

16. synagence macrumors 6502a

I have also read reports of people have greater success with restoring the firmware to 347 but NOT restoring a backup of the iphone ... ie. clean rebuild

I know you lose email, contacts, sms, settings etc etc .... but i have seen people saying things were a lot better this way .... who knows!

17. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I ran the update with restore last night. All is well again now (updated to 47) except a couple of my applications have disappeared (Texas Holdem, for example). I guess I should be able to download again from the App store when I have some time.

It also reset my time zone to Cupertino!! (Although previously it had been set to London by default).

Battery life appears to have dramatically improved however, with me still being on 100% (visual indicator) after 1 hour of audio, a bit of facebook and surfing (totalling about half an hour), email and 15 mins of a phone call. 3G has been active and in use the whole time.

I'm wondering if there was a small bug in the 45 version of the 2.0 software that meant something was constantly draining the battery. I might be able to get away without charging it tonight now.

18. slicecom macrumors 68020

I did the restore/upgrade to 347 and my phone is much less laggy. My contacts no longer studder for the first 10 seconds of scrolling through them and the keys no longer stick when texting.

19. jaydoc05 macrumors newbie

So, one must do backup first? If you do not, what gets fixed on the next sync?music? Contacts? Email settings?

Thx

20. bklyn bruiser macrumors newbie

I am glad I am not the only one noticing this.. I posted this same finding in another forum, and no one but me appeared to notice that difference..

21. bhartman macrumors newbie

2.0.1 update

anyone know yet if today's update (to 2.0.1) hurts battery life over 347? (345 sucked)