Is there a new iPod Classic on its way?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by EmpireOfTheSun, Mar 23, 2009.

1. EmpireOfTheSun macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,
    I am considering the purchase of an iPod Classic at the moment, but I was wondering if there was a newer one on its way that I'm probably better waiting on?

Just seeing as there's been a new Nano, a new Touch and more recently, a new Shuffle, I just reckon a new Classic should be next.

Cheers:apple:

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The current iPod classic was released at the same time as the current nano and touch.

Apple are currently moving their music players away from HDDs so I don't the the classic is long for this Earth. Once 128GB flash storage is available in the iPod touch they'll probably kill the classic and leave us with the shuffle, nano and touch.

3. EmpireOfTheSun thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, you think? I'd always thought that the Classic would be the one they held onto, seeing as it's the sort of default iPod shape?

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

There's been zero talk about the iPod Classic for some time now. Who knows what will happen. I think you're safe buying now.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yeah but it's old technology and the weakest link in terms of reliability. Apple aren't sentimental, if a product can be replaced by something better they'll do it.

The iPod nano and the iPod touch are outselling the classic by a fair margin in my experience. The nano has sort of become the default iPod with the touch being the one everyone lusts after.

6. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

The classic is probably reaching the end of its life, although I doubt that Apple would drop it the very second that 128GB touches become available, but probably soon after that. I would say another 3 years max before they cut it, but that is just my opinion.

But in means of buying on now, you are all set, and in the future try out the MacRumors Buyer's Guide, it will give you the approximate time for an update, and a look towards the front page will also give you an idea about any speculation of changes or an update. But I believe that we have reached the end of major changes to the iPod classic line.

7. wpc33 macrumors 6502

wpc33

I am an iPod Classic devotee, as I want space, space, MORE SPACE....*aherm*

Alas, even though I am not contained by my current 120GB, I will gladly jump to a touch no sooner than they hit 80GB, whether the Classic survives or not.

OP: There may have been a 240GB iPod Classic announced last fall, but purportedly, Apple didn't have enough a guaranteed stock on the then-new Toshiba drive. A 240GB Classic could very well make it's release, alongside the current 120, but not likely. There will be no refresh soon.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You never know; maybe they will make a classic with 16x128GB chips :D I think it could fit many. I wouldn't mind a 2TB iPod!

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

No, there's not another classic on the way soon. iPods almost always update in the fall. I think the iPod touch may have had a storage bump outside that window, but that's been it.

I would also seriously suggest getting an iPod touch if you think you might at all be into the games and other apps. Yes, the 32GB touch will set you back a penny, but the apps I have on my iPhone make it quite worth the lack of space. I had a 30GB iPod before an 8GB iPhone, so I know all about dealing with the space crunch. But if all you want is a music player with a crapload of space, can't beat the classic.

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I love the classic both for its terrific storage and for its wonderful battery; at present, I have a three year old 30 GB (still doing well) and a 80GB which is a wonderfully reliable iPod.

I can see the argumnets about technological eveolution, but I'll miss the classic and would readily buy another if I come across one. At present, the Touch has insufficient storage capacity, and I have doubts about the battery life, too. I travel a lot, and an iPod with really good storage and an excellent battery life is a constant companion and a must for me.

Cheers and good luck

11. rrballer11 macrumors newbie

What i would do it put that new tech or w.e that new 128GB memory thingy in a redesigned Ipod Classic (Slim version) like around the same width of the ipod touch that would be amazing.