Is there a new keyboard coming with lion features ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by opelman59, Jun 8, 2011.

1. opelman59 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Do we have any rumors about a new keyboard (perhaps backlight) with new buttons ?

Thanks and please excuse my english (I'm french)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Why would there need to be new keys or buttons? Nothing in Lion requires anything but a standard keyboard.

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Well there might be a case for a new keyboard incorporating a trackpad…
    Not saying it is a good idea. ;) But there is an awful lot of pinching and zooming and swiping going on…

4. opelman59 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for the reply :)

i fugured perhaps a Mission Control button ??

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's what this is for.
    It's more likely they'd reuse the key for Exposé or Dashboard.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It uses the Expose button.

7. opelman59 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. MasterHowl macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

I'd love to see a new keyboard!

I have an Apple Wireless keyboard and I love it, but it's lacking a backlight...

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's been discussed in dozens of threads. There's no backlight due to battery life considerations, so you're not likely to see that anytime soon.

10. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

backlight

i would LOVE a backlit full aluminum keyboard. would be so sexy

11. basher macrumors 6502

basher

Wireless Bluetooth keyboard with numeric keypad and backlighting would be awesome. Maybe even an extra battery with then increased width.

12. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

It would be nice but it's unlikely to happen.

13. opelman59 thread starter macrumors newbie

14. CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

WHY ?? :confused:

15. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

I'd like a black keyboard like the iPad keyboard form logitech

16. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

I believe if Apple were going to they would have made a backlit full keyboard by now. I hope I'm wrong.

17. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Perhaps I can shed a tiny bit of light on this...It is kind of technical so bear with me. The design of the apple keyboard (as far as general shape) is not one they are likely to give up. It is sexy, sleek, and actually functional. The batteries go in one after the other in series. Here's where it gets technical.

When batteries are in series, each extra battery increases the voltage, but the number of mAh stays the same. The number of mAh is a rough estimation of how long the batteries will last on a charge. When batteries are in parallel, the voltage stays the same, but the mAh increases. Now, knowing the keyboard needs 2 batteries in series to have a high enough voltage, the only way to increase the battery life enough to support backlighting decently would be to use 4 batteries(2 series sets in parallel).

There is not space to implement that and make it look good, without switching to a different battery type altogether. They could, for instance, use 2x 14500 batteries(which are 3.7v apiece) in parallel, but those batteries aren't as simple for an end user to get as are standard AA's.

18. 65535 macrumors member

A simple high efficiency DC-DC circuit can drop the voltage down to the 3V. Or the board can in general be redesigned. I would like to see the plug in keyboard equipped with a back-light. I wouldn't mind seeing the old style MBP (2008) style buttons on a keyboard. It wouldn't be that hard for Apple to build the back-light into the board like they do on the new MBP's.

A simple software patch would be able to re-patch the F5 and F6 buttons to register as brightness controls.

As for the batteries, Logitech and others have adopted lithium in their rechargable wireless devices, Apple's a little slow on the draw, they could use the same 18650 lithium ion cells they use in their laptop packs in a rechargable wireless keyboard, that could incorporate a backlight, why not a small solar charger while we're at it.

19. Awjvail macrumors 6502

Apple has redesigned the F3 and F4 keys on the new MBAs and external keyboards.

Different icons is all. Nothing else.

20. palebluedot macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

Can you use your old keyboard to do the new function keys? Also do you know if the new keyboard works as well with Windows PCs?

21. axu539 macrumors 6502a

The old keyboards still have the dashboard button, which still brings up dashboard. I don't see any way to bring up Launchpad using the old keyboards. It's not a big deal at all, just a note. Launchpad kinda sucks anyway.

22. palebluedot macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

Ya now that I think about it I would probably use launchpad when using my MBA away from my desk (since the screen is smaller and it's a quick way to launch apps) but at my desk on a 25" monitor I'd be more apt to use Applications folder or the dock. Plus dashboard is pretty useful so having it to a button is always a plus.