Is there a noticable difference in the 20 inch and 24 inch?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by shanshor, Mar 4, 2008.

1. shanshor macrumors regular

one is a lot cheaper trhan the other. i tried searching but nothing came up

2. IC3D macrumors regular

IC3D

Screen quality is better with the 24"

3. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

4. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

I should hope so :p

The 20 inch uses Dithering to achieve 16 million colours, which is kinda lame. The 24 inch can produce all 16,000,000 natively.

And yes, the difference (size, quality) is quite pronounced.

5. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

If you like to hear "Core 2 Extreme," 24" is the way to go

6. bobertoq macrumors 6502a

7. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

I would say yes. The 20 inches are surprisingly big, but the 24" iMacs are massive! The screen quality is amazing too.

8. SoLibertyDies macrumors regular

if you can't see the difference in pictures or on the apple site, just go into an apple store, you'll see. I'd go ahead and say WAY worth the price bump.

9. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

You guys make me feel bad for just buying a 20" today. Is the screen that bad? I find it hard to believe thats its so noticeably different than the 24", but that seems to be the consensus. Maybe I should send it back :rolleyes:

10. Mikebuzzsaw macrumors 6502

I rather have 2x 19 inchers vs one 24. I wish I was able to get a Mac Pro Junior or something and sport two monitors. Regardless, I regret not getting the 24... :(

11. CBAviator macrumors 6502

It all depends on what you're using it for. The 20" is an excellent computer, however, for my needs, it wouldn't work. I do a lot of photo editing and I didn't want the color/brightness/contrast shift of the TN screen in the 20". Think of it like many laptop screens...depending on your viewing angle, the colors/contrast shift. The 24" doesn't do that.

12. pazreal macrumors regular

I use my 24" as a quasi-tv since I don't have a TV and I read a lot of pdfs for law school so it's quite nice to have a case side by side with a Pages doc and be able to glance back and forth.

13. clin86 macrumors regular

how do u make it into a tv? i thought imacs didnt come with tv tuners?

14. ale500 macrumors regular

Do not feel bad, the 20" screen is fabulous !, I went the other day to Mediamarkt (they have now an Apple shop inside) to jerk, ahem to look for a deal on a Mac Mini (there were none, deals) and The screen from both the 20 and the 24" look amazing, simply amazing. I thought I'd seen gradient, backlight bleeding (difficult to see with white background) and so no. Nothing, at all. I almost took one home. I already have 2 monitors so is not cost effective, well may be they are... a Mini with similar specs plus kbd plus mouse plus monitor is more expensive (and more disk!). If I didn't have a 20" the refurbs are 1000€ not bad. :D

15. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

I picked up one of those 20" from the refurb store for $999 yesterday. Havent really even messed with an iMac very much up to now so I havent got a good idea of the difference between the 20 and 24.

Ive got a mini with a 19" samsung lcd right now. I cant help but believe the iMac display had to be as good at least as this Samsung is.

16. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

24", its bigger, the price dropped, they will make people go "whoa, sick computer", they have higher quality S-IPS displays, with great viewing angles, the 20" use TN displays, terrible viewing angles, dont display 16m natively, are not as beautiful as the 20", 4" more space, better cooling, and more happiness

I started a thread about how bad the 20" viewing angle is:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=444208&page=2

17. MacNewbie03 macrumors regular

MacNewbie03

When I got my 20 inch at the Apple Store, I looked first at the 24's. I didn't see a difference in the way the colors were displayed. It is too big for my needs so I got the 20. So, go look at one and get the one you like best.

18. Jimmdean macrumors 6502

Not for the money. You pay a lot more for not much more space or power.
    Not to mention you can run multi-monitor for less money.

The refurb 20" for $999 is an excellent deal!!!

19. hexonxonx macrumors 601

The screen quality on the both are amazing. Seriously. They are also huge! I bought the 20" and have been constantly amazed at the bright clear colors and have been playing with different wallpapers just to look at the colors. :D

When I was in the store, it kind of looked like the 24" may have had uneven lighting on it but I can't be positive on that because I only looked at it for a minute because it was just too big.

I love my 20"!

20. pazreal macrumors regular

I guess it's not really a "tv" per se but since most of the shows on network are on online now I have no need to pay money for ota transmission or have another box.

21. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

If you do photography, the biggest difference is that the 24" will do 256 shades each of red, blue and green, while the 20" will only do 64 shades of each. Provides nicer gradients and more accurate color rendition for making prints.