Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac Pro 2009

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Okay, maybe this sounds silly but most card readers out there are slow and cheap looking and in any case it's one more cable hanging around... Perhaps there is a PCI solution for adding card readers to the back of the Mac Pro?

Last edited:

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
There are fast and nice looking memory readers. ORICO 7566-C3 is USB 3.0 and has a nice aluminum anodized finish in black or silver. Pair that with a USB 3.0 card and the slowest thing will be the memory card itself.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Okay, maybe this sounds silly but most card readers out there are slow and cheap looking and in any case it's one more cable hanging around... Perhaps there is a SATA solution for adding card readers to the back of the Mac Pro?

I'd ask "which Mac Pro", but that's irrelevant since none of them support eSATA.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra

Mac Pro 2009

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Thanks gents! Is there an internal card reader for the 4.1 Mac Pro?

Ooops! Sorry, I meant PCI of course! A bit tired today!

analog guy

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009

seems like the answer is no.

even if there were, is the back of your mac pro easily accessible?

if it were me, i'd look to a USB3 PCI card and then get a new card reader (i like the lexar). you probably will switch computers at some point, and this would be more likely transferrable.

alternately, the lexar FW reader is really, really good. i think it may be unavailable, though.

i am currently migrating from my MP3,1 to an iMac/nMP and just got a lexar USB3 reader. i'd planned to sell my lexar FW at some point, if that helps you out.

there are plenty of USB3 options, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.