Is there a perfect streaming service for Mac and Android?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by navaira, Jan 18, 2016.

1. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

(Note for mods: sorry if this is not posted in the right place)

I have the following requirements for a streaming service:
    – allow offline downloads
    – play gapless correctly, regardless of whether it is an album or playlist
    – if my local track is in any way, shape or form different from what the streaming service has, local track takes precedent
    – play all formats that iTunes can play

Apple Music does not pass the sync test. I wrote a few times that it "matches" tracks that have a different title, different length, different album title, different cover art. I haven't found a way to upload "Rebel Heart (Demo 4)" to my Android phone at all, because iCloud decides it's actually the album version and there's no way to convince it otherwise. AM does not play my local library on Android. It plays random songs that it decided are similar enough. The only place where songs play correctly is the computer that originally had them locally, I can't sync a song from my iMac to my Macbook correctly.

Google Play Music can't play gapless as far as I am aware, neither on my phone nor Mac. I listen to a lot of continuous mix albums. I created a special version of Janet Jackson's Unbreakable, where "No Sleeep (J.Cole mix)" is replaced with original single version of "No Sleeep" that I edited myself to play without a gap and segue with previous track "Night". Obviously Apple Music has no clue what I want to do. Google Play though, which has never replaced anything before, decided out of the blue that my re-edit of "No Sleeep" is the same as original single version. True, they sound very similar except first few seconds but they are NOT the same song. Changing the title to "No Sleeep (Album version)" does not help either. "Rebel Heart (Demo 4)" test is passed though.

Spotify... I upgraded to Premium and a family plan because Spotify never caused me any problems. Well guess what? It does now. Local files take hours to load (31k songs, and it was NEVER a problem before.) Then... everything works more or less fine, except tracks I already downloaded to my phone sometimes change into a different mix by themselves because I have more than one desktop and more than one iTunes library. It passes the "Rebel Heart (Demo 4)" test though. I am corresponding with their customer service trying to figure out why gapless works sometimes. On albums it mostly works. On playlists it mostly doesn't. Mac OS client does better than Android client, in general. Except sometimes that changes and I don't know why. Also Spotify fails to download any artwork to my phone.

Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells II is incorrectly uploaded on all streaming services, so I made a playlist called "Tubular Bells II" replacing incorrect single edit of track 1 with the album mix. No points for guessing what Apple does with it. Spotify can't play it gapless sometimes, sometimes it can. Google decided that I need both the single and album versions, and duplicated some more album tracks as well because Tubular Bells II is such a great album it needs to have 18 tracks rather than 14. So I can't play Tubular Bells II correctly from any of those services.

I haven't tried Amazon and TIDAL yet. Deezer only imports MP3 so my M4A-filled library is obviously not going to fly with it. Does anybody know ANY streaming service that fulfills my expectations? Alternatively, is there a streaming service which integrates with local files seamlessly? I just want to be able to play my music and add some stuff with downloading. Google Play Music seems best at matching but inability to play gapless rules it out.

2. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

3. navaira thread starter macrumors 68040

navaira

Nope (see description above for why not).

I'd rate those three:

Apple Music: 4/10
    Google Play Music: 8/10
    Spotify: 8.5/10

4. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

My bad. I agree with you except 4/10 for apple music seems a little high.

5. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Spotify IMO, though you've already outlined your concerns with it.

What I would suggest is speaking with their support team, if you haven't already. It could be something they can fix on their end. At least if you allow them the opportunity to try and assist, you hopefully won't have to look around for an alternative. :)

6. navaira thread starter macrumors 68040

navaira

Yup! I am corresponding with their support team, who are very quick in responding, but also manage to miss out what I wrote two messages ago (they now suggested twice that I download this or that package for Windows...) I think the final result of this will be me settling for Spotify and creating a small iTunes library for segued albums only. Not ideal, but, well. Close I guess.