Is there a physical difference between the Verizon and AT&T "new" iPads?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Virgo, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

Or can you switch carriers at any time? I want to gift one to my mom but idk what would be best for her area (near Tampa)

2. Zetaprime, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012

Zetaprime macrumors 65816

They are physically identical. I would imagine the only difference is the SIM card.

3. kevink2 macrumors 65816

I don't know if anyone has figured out what the different hardware wise is. But if it was just the SIM card they wouldn't sell different versions. Just one that you get the SIM of your choice from Verizon/ATT, or just provide both in the box.

So get the variant you want/need.

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

They said during the keynote that they each support different LTE frequencies, since AT&T and Verizon use different frequencies for LTE.

5. profets macrumors 68040

They physically look and feel identical, but the LTE chipset is different between the two versions.

You won't be able to switch between AT&T LTE and Verizon LTE with the same iPad.

6. sekazi macrumors 6502

The only difference is in Bold

Wi-Fi + 4G for AT&T model:
    LTE (700, 2100 MHz)
    UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)
    GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

Wi-Fi + 4G for Verizon model:
    LTE (700 MHz)
    CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900 MHz)
    UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)
    GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

Technically you can use AT&T on the Verizon iPad but you would be limited to the 700mhz band for LTE. Anything else is all AT&T supported. I originally ordered a AT&T model but cancelled to switch to a Verizon. I really hope I can use any carrier on them. I do not really care about LTE.

7. Bradllez macrumors 6502

Bradllez

The website says the AT&T model is slightly heavier.

/bradllez

8. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

Both units are global....so they both have sim cards.

9. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

I did the same thing but don't hold your breath for any US GSM carrier's SIM to work in the VZW version **IN THE USA.** Any carrier's US & Int'ntl GSM SIM will definitely work in the ATT model (but not necessarily in non-LTE "4G" mode). You might just get EDGE.

10. sekazi macrumors 6502

If that is the case then Apple will be false advertising.

Around the world. Last I checked the USA is part of the world.

11. TB07-NJ, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012

TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Ummm, how can it be "false advertising." if it can connect to Verizon or AT&T (depending on device) in the USA and all other networks around the world then I think they are covered. It doesn't say it can connect to MULTIPLE or EVERY NETWORK in every country ..... If you bought the ATT model in the US it will connect to ATT and if you bought Verizon model in the US it will connect to Verizon so they pretty much covered their promise in the US.

But WHATEVER, if your Verizon iPad won't work on AT&T (or vice versa) just hire a lawyer and sue them. :rolleyes:

By the way, the Verizon iPhone 4S is advertised the same way, as a world phone. It works around the world but only on Verizon in the US.

Bottom line is I hope I am wrong, but I highly doubt it. We will know next Friday. Right now it's all conjecture.

12. sekazi macrumors 6502

iPhone is a different story. It is a subsidized device so it is sold carrier locked. But the iPhone 4S will work on Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile or AT&T if unlocked. The iPad should not be carrier locked. If so then you will have issues connecting to other networks.

As long as the iPad has the frequencies supported by that network then in theory it should work. I will be using my iPhone 4 micro sim to test it out when I get it.

If it work then it works. If not then I guess I will be going Verizon. At worst I predict on the LTE will be only Verizon but the rest of the wireless tech they have is supported by AT&T on their EDGE, 3G and HSPA network.

13. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

That doesn't make any sense. How would it be heavier? The main parts that give the iPad its weight are the battery, glass, and aluminum shell. The remaining parts have very little weight and the difference between one chip and another would probably require a laboratory scale.

14. Bradllez macrumors 6502

Bradllez

Oh, I believe I was mistaken, it was different for the iPad 2 models.

The new iPad with 4G LTE capabilities is the same.

Attached Files:

15. profets macrumors 68040

Be careful how you mention LTE use. The bold is the true difference between the two.

There are four possible 700mhz bands right now, and two of those are used by AT&T and Verizon. There are no chipsets that use both of those bands because of current technical limitations.

16. tivoboy macrumors 68030

global

Are both products just as good for Global use? Typically, a verizon CDMA solution PHONE was not the best international solution due to no GSM resident, but it seems we're now working with more global and protocol rich chipsets. If one is going to travel in europe and asia and south america, is there device preference between the verizon LTE or the AT&T LTE versions?