Is there a PIM for Mac that integrates calendar/address book/email/to dos?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by juliainor, Oct 14, 2009.

1. juliainor macrumors member

Like Outlook, but not Outlook ;) And not Entourage. I tried it and it's sooooo slow and does not have nearly the feature set of Outlook. I know outlook is coming to Mac with the next Office release, but I can't wait that long.

Perhaps it's just being a lifelong Windows user and being tethered to Outlook for the past 10 years or so. I have been using the native Mac tools (Mail, iCal, Address Book) since I got my MBP about three months ago and I'm getting frustrated. They are all perfectly good independent apps and they do integrate nicely, but they just aren't as powerful as what I want. Especially in the to-dos category - way too wimpy for me! Moreover, I am really tired of having to flip between apps and have 3+ windows open for something I am used to being able to see in a single window.

In a perfect world, I'd like it to have iPhone sync as well, but if I can at least get something better on my desktop, that would be better than nothing!

Any recommendations?

2. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I hear you. I am using Entourage to get on our Exchange Server at work and it really is clunky. Microsoft has put out some junk, but Outlook is one thing they got right.

3. juliainor thread starter macrumors member

I stumbled upon SOHO Organizer 8 yesterday and it's pretty good. It's not exactly what I want, but it's closer than anything else I've tried. I like the idea of Daylite, but it just seems like too much for an individual user. Not using the collaborative/sharing features seems like I'd really but cutting out huge chunks of its functionality, which would probably decrease efficient use of it.

That SOHO Notes is bundled with it is a nice bonus and its iPhone app (pending final approval) looks pretty sweet.

I am trying the 30 day trial and then will make a final decision.

4. Queso macrumors G4

Outlook is IMO one of the worst products Microsoft sell. It's not even properly multi-threaded. It makes Exchange look bad, constantly pausing for the most basic of mail client tasks and buggy as hell. Whilst better than the truly awful Entourage it still requires a complete top to bottom overhaul.

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

how interesting - I have to use outlook at work, and I simply hate it. One of the most frustrating aspects is that mail, calendar, and contacts are integrated in to one application.

Sorry, I know I'm not being helpful - I just find it interesting that you'd really like that aspect of outlook, or even outlook in general.

6. juliainor thread starter macrumors member

Interesting- why is it that you dislike that? I know everyone has personal preferences, I'm just curious how it is more convenient for you to have that info in separate apps. I haven't been able to make that work smoothly for my workflow, but I'd definitely be interested to hear some tips on making it work.