Is there a point to buying 1tb icloud drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aggiesrwe03, Sep 27, 2014.

1. aggiesrwe03 macrumors regular

I have a MBP retina with 256gig hdd, if I understand it correctly icloud drive will be similar to drop box, and I will be storing the files on my hard drive anyway and they will sync to the cloud to use on other devices. That's great, except I'm limted to the storage available on my MBP it would seem, so is there a reason to buy that extra space in the cloud? My original excitement was I would finally have a place to put my movies for access anywhere through iTunes, but it seems that's not the way it is going to work. Am I getting this correct? Or does once something gets put in the drive folder does it now live in the cloud, or does it stay on the machine, or both?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

From what I have read so far from Yosemite users, the files exist on both the local drive and in iCloud. So at this point there is no way to save them in iCloud and not have them also on the computer like you want.

3. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Apparently in the new Transmit iOS app, you can copy things straight to iCloud Drive (I haven't tried yet, I'm waiting on Yosemite to switch over as I have lots of iCloud apps). So it definitely can be one way, sorta like it is now. I wouldn't dare stream from the drive though.

4. mojolicious, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2014

mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

At the moment it looks like a 'solo collaborative' tool (and who knew we needed one of those?!). It wouldn't surprise me if it quickly adds proper file storage without the cloud/device duplication, but I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole for a couple of months after introduction: let early adopters experience the bugs and discover the functionality.

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

At least with DropBox or OneDrive, I can decide which files (if any) I want to reside on my Mac. I thought the point was to help people free up space on their devices.

I don't see a lot of point in having to keep all the files on one's computer and in the cloud. Not much different than how Time Machine works, in my opinion.

It will be interesting to see if Apple changes the functionality.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes, but the way it works now is the iCloud Drive files are mirrored everywhere, so if you upload a file to iCloud Drive in iOS (with Transmit or anything else) that file will get pushed to iCloud Drive in OS X and use disk space.

Yes, a selective sync option like Dropbox has would be very helpful.