Is there a point to getting 2-3 day shipping?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ozreth, Apr 27, 2010.

1. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

At $18 it seems like a steal but people seem to be getting screwed anyways... I live in Arizona if that makes a difference?

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I assume you mean from Apple?

Normally no.

Most shipments from Apple either come from China or a regional warehouse, typically not more than 3 days ground delivery time from most U.S. locations.

Orders coming from China ship air (obviously) and there is no "expedited" service available, even though Apple will gladly take your money -- pet peeve of mine. Orders from China typically arrive within 3 business days of shipping, often faster.

However, if you are ordering a "stock" item that you must have on date certain then it might be worthwhile to pay for 2-3 day delivery. That is really the only situation where its worth the coin. Otherwise the free ground delivery will usually get it to you in the same time frame. Usually.

3. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I dunno...I was impatient when I ordered my new 2010 MBP. I got it a full day faster than most others in the "Has your MBP shipped yet" thread. I didn't even order it until very late on launch day.

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Sure, but $18 just to have it one day sooner. I'd rather take a friend to lunch.

5. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I'd rather dance around that friend showing him my new laptop that he's still waiting to be delivered LOL.

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Only if you can use that extra day to generate $18 of revenue or have $18 worth of fun with it. It's your money to waste...I mean spend.

7. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

On a $3000 laptop, you aren't worried about $18. Don't be silly.

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Worried, no, of course not. But just the same I don't go around throwing Jacksons in the trash can either. One day bragging rights are not worth $18 bucks to me. Then again, I have two MBPs and a MP so maybe the thrill of a new machine one day early doesn't cause me to wet my panties.

9. mingoglia macrumors 6502

I'm in AZ as well. I ordered my 17" i7 with 8 gig on Thursday. I justified the extra $18 to myself in the way another poster said... what's $18 when you spent $3k? I figured it was already taking 5-7 business days to ship and I didn't want to wait 1 day longer.

10. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I was already over budget on my new MBP purchase. There was no way I was paying another 18 beans just to get it a day earlier.

11. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Hm, you guys are saying it will only make a day difference but the store tells me it will take 5-7 days to ship my computer. which is a 3-5 day difference...

12. jonpwnz macrumors member

jonpwnz

my thoughts exactly LOL more like frolic around him with giggles of glee

13. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Ship time has nothing to do with shipping time. Ship time is how long it takes for Apple to get your order together before the carrier picks it up. It seems that orders coming from China are kind of 'expedited' already, since there's no ground route to take. I'd imagine it'd be a big difference for orders shipping within the US. Planes going across the country would be a lot faster than trucks driving across the country. But all our orders are on planes coming from Shanghai to Alaska, regardless of shipping method. It seems the expedited kicks in after that, which only makes for about a day's difference in delivery time.

People whose orders shipped on the same day as mine, but with expedited shipping, have expected delivery dates of Wednesday morning while mine is scheduled for Thursday before 4:30 PM with free shipping.

It will take 5-7 business days to ship (for Apple build it) a CTO MacBook Pro regardless of the type of shipping you select.

14. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

^^ That's about right. From what I've seen here following everyones shipments, expedited means you'll likely get it a day earlier than non-expedited CTO builds. A little more actually...yours will be delivered by 10:30A the day before, whereas non-expedited may not show up until 4:30P the next day.

The $18 is just for the impatient people like me. If you aren't in a hurry, don't bother.

15. King Apple macrumors regular

King Apple

Not really, it took a while for apply to prepare mine for shipment anyway.

16. jmdMac macrumors regular

I am tracking mine currently. Ontario, CA---Mira Loma,CA---Oakland,CA---Anchorage,AK(arrived)

Says it should arrive tomorrow(in Fairbanks) before 7pm. Seems like if all orders were coming from China through Alaska mine would have been among those?.

17. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Was yours CTO or a stock model? I was talking about CTO builds.

18. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Ah, thanks for this clarity : ) I am just trying to figure out if I need a 7200rpm or not, If I decide not then I have no reason to order online.

19. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I make alot of Benjamins, and have a MacPro. I still pick up pennies from the street. I happen to value my money.

2+