Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FX4568

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
So, as we all know Apple uses Intel chips, but the AMD llano is an APU, which gives slightly less CPU than SB chips but much better GPU than SB's Intel 3000HD.
So is there any chance Apple might switch to the AMDs? I mean, is there a reason why they wouldnt they? Plus, I heard the AMD llanos might come Q3 2011, so perhaps it will be perfect for a MBA update with it?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Everything is possible but personally I doubt it.

1. Apple's and Intel's relationship. Apple and Intel have a very strong relationship at the moment. Apple has gotten some special treatment from Intel because of this (early access to CPUs and now Thunderbolt). One of the reasons for this is very likely that Apple uses solely Intel's CPUs. Going with AMD would most likely kill this relationship.

2. Thunderbolt. This is Intel only (at least at the moment) and Apple seems to like it a lot (maybe even developed it with Intel according to some rumors). Apple wants to push it to all Macs. If they go AMD, they cannot.

3. AMD's future plans. While Llano looks great, do the future CPUs look as good? Also, can AMD deliver them on time? One of the main reasons why Apple switched from PPC to Intel was that IBM's schedules were total crap. Llano was supposed to come out in Q1 2011. Now it has been pushed to Q3. While Intel has a solid tick-tock plan and they come up with new CPUs every year, AMD's update cycles are more fragmented. AMD is still using 45nm SOI while Intel switched to 32nm over a year ago. IIRC the current micro-architecture in AMDs is from 2008. Apple ran way from this once already, why would they risk it again? Especially if it is only for one Mac and the gains are not that huge really (it's not like going from PPC to x86 that allowed Windows and all that to be ran on Macs).

4. Drivers. A switch to AMD would require a bunch of whole new drivers. AMDs use totally different chipsets. Apple likes to use the same chipsets and other components in several Macs. 9400M was used in all but Mac Pro. That allows Apple to use the same drivers, thus less work. It also allows Apple to buy bigger quantities and that means lower prices.

Just a few things that came to my mind. Also, we don't have any concrete data of Llano and its specs and performance. The only thing that AMD might offer that Intel can't is a good IGP. That is the only pro of AMD that I can think of.

Last edited:

FX4568

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
@GGJstudios.
What are you even talking about? I dont need hardware assistance, thank you.

Anyways, yea I knew about the Thunderbolt and Apple Intel relationships, but i didnt know about the 2008 thing.
I dont know. I mean I rather use a Llano than a SB if GPU is much better, but of course business is business.
Let us hope for something good!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
@GGJstudios.
What are you even talking about? I dont need hardware assistance, thank you.
It doesn't matter if you need hardware assistance. The tip is to choose a thread title that is more descriptive of the topic, so those who might be interested will notice your thread. If you prefer to leave it ambiguous, that's up to you.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
but i didnt know about the 2008 thing.

Actually, make that 2007 as that is when the first K10-based Phenoms came out.

I dont know. I mean I rather use a Llano than a SB if GPU is much better, but of course business is business.
Let us hope for something good!

So would I if it offered superior performance and battery life compared to SB. I just don't think performance is Apple's biggest concern in MBA. The current gen is amazing though. Don't hesitate to buy one if that is what you are thinking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.