Is there a Preview plugin for browsers?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by invu, Nov 22, 2011.

1. invu macrumors newbie

Hi,

I really like to use Preview when reading PDF files,
    and I was wondering if there was a way to use Preview *inside browsers* to open PDFs.

Adobe Reader has a plugin that allows you to open PDFs inside browsers, but I don't like Adobe Reader.
    There is this "PDF Browser Plugin", but I don't like that either, especially the fact that I have to click a button to zoom in or out.
    I know I can set the browsers to 'use Preview' when opening PDFs, but I often open many PDFs, and I hope I could just open them inside the browsers so that I can still use the browsers' features (e.g. going back to the previous page).

I know Safari has a built-in PDF engine that works almost the same way as Preview (in fact I like Safari's built-in engine better; its pinch-zoom is smoother than Preview). I also know Chrome has its own built-in engine. I'm in fact looking to use a plugin for Opera, and many people might want such a thing for Firefox.

Based on my google searches, there doesn't seem to be a Preview plugin for browsers, but I'm asking in case I missed it, and also to ask if there's any way around it to achieve my purpose.

Also, sort of related question is, is there a way to use Safari's or Chrome's built-in PDF viewers as standalone applications or in another browser (as plugins)? because ultimately I'd love to use Safari's built-in PDF viewer everywhere if I could..

Thanks mac experts!!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

A Preview plugin is not needed. Preview is an application that is based on the 2-D graphics frameworks of MacOS X. Every MacOS X application has the same access to these frameworks that Preview has.

3. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

While that's true, I don't think any browser other than Safari actually takes advantage of that.

The PDF support in Mac OS X has some pretty serious limitations for cross-platform developers, so they tend to focus elsewhere.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Limitation is not the correct word. MacOS X supports PDF, TIFF, and other graphics format natively. This causes a problem with many MacOS X applications that are targeted to other operating systems because the developer has to replicate the MacOS X functionality on the other OS or leave it out on the MacOS X application. This is an issue of longstanding and a source of no small amount of consternation for Mac users.

Strength is weakness. Greater support is a limitation. To call the Mac's support of increased functionality and file format support a limitation is 1984-style doublespeak.