Is there a printer out there for what specs I want? (compact)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Dr.Pants, May 29, 2010.

1. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Alright, well, as you may have noticed, I need a printer. Pickup in a few months, when I finally move out and save me eight hours a week of commuting.

So, as for what I want it to do? Print. That's all. Colour is a bonus. I'm a college student, so colour would be a boon for my lab papers, but I can live without it.

Now, the caveat; I'd like me a pretty slim printer. i.e., a box. No trays. Can work for OSX or Windows, I honestly don't care what OS its drivers support.

Oh, and cheap is another bonus, too. :rolleyes:

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Yes, you do. You also want a color printer. You should also name a price range. Cheap is a pejorative, not a price. That said, the least expensive printers that I have seen are sold by HP. These HP DeskJets support both Windows and MacOS X up through MacOS X 10.6.

3. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

A samsung or brother monochrome laser printer for example is the best for you if you want cheap and good prints but does not need color.

4. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

I have a Brother HL-2140. It's a compact laser printer, but it's only black and white and it doesn't have duplexing. It has both OS X and Windows drivers (and works perfectly attached to my AirPort Extreme Base Station). The HL-2170, by the way, is nearly the same model with built-in networking. The list price is over $100 but can easily be had for less (Amazon has it for $80 now). It's a great printer.

I do recommend a laser unless you need a lot of color; color lasers will be bigger and might not fit your "small" criteron, but if you get an inkjet (something I rarely recommend), you'll deal with expensive and frequent ink replacements. I haven't replaced the toner in my laser since I got it, but it's reasonably priced. (BTW, that's something you should check out for any printer before you buy: the price of consumables.)

Hope this helps--that's my recommendation for a printer. It depends on what you really want, though, or what your price range is.

5. Dr.Pants thread starter macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Alright, well, thanks for the suggestions. I'll do some research by myself and then bump the thread when I come across something that looks good and hopefully isn't a POS - I'll take a look at the Brothers. Didn't know that a colour laser would be gigantic.

As for budget, just FYI, it would hit about $100 max. And because I'm being cheap, I might as well just drop the compact need - I'm just insanely OCD about have trays flapping about.

6. striker9 macrumors member