Is there a program that allows cutting and pasting files?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bluesTank, Dec 9, 2008.

1. bluesTank macrumors regular

I still DO NOT understand why apple does not have a cut functionality in the mac. It is really frustrating, as having the cut capability is very useful when moving multiple files through different directories.

So is there a way to get this functionality?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

4. bluesTank thread starter macrumors regular

That doesn't work with files. It only works with text.

5. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

Quicksilver will allow you to move anything anywhere very quickly.

6. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

What is wrong with copy and paste? Cut and paste could lead to problems if the transfer is interrupted.

7. Turmoil macrumors regular

easy solution

from the terminal use the command mv

8. bluesTank thread starter macrumors regular

Same with dragging.

In windows, the original file wasn't deleted until the transfer was complete. People keep saying that if you forget to paste it, you will lose your file, which is just not true.

I guess it is just one of those stubborn mac things, like the stupid one moused button etc.

9. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

LOL! Really? Are you being serious...

Anyway, I never used cut and paste on windows, haven't found the need to use cut on mac...

10. eezing macrumors 6502

eezing

Don't you know??? Windows has cut & paste... It would be completely unoriginal for Apple to do something that's already been done in Windows.

11. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

They won't even allow copy paste on the iphone. Apple has a bug up their butts about this for some reason.

12. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

It's not working correctly in Pathfinder either according to the forums there and on the latest 5.04 version. :(

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The Mac Finder supports copy and paste of files, just not cut and paste. If Windows preserves the original file in a cut and paste (which it must to avoid accidental deletion), then perhaps we can see why Apple has decided not to support this kludgy and inconsistent implementation of cut and paste. Apple has always made a better effort to implement logically consistent feature than Microsoft.

14. daman123x macrumors newbie

The notion that files are copied elsewhere while cut/pasted are luda-CRISS.
    Seriously.

The default action when dragging a file to a different location in the the same drive is a move (which doesn't actually move any data anywhere, just remaps the path of the file, which is why moving huge chucks of data to somewhere else on the same drive are (near) instant).

Moving to a different physical drive or partition is different. It copies the file, then deletes the original it if the copy was successful. The problem here is that up to 10.5.2 (or 10.5.1, I can't remember), there was a horrible glitch that if the cable was disconnected or a network connection was cut while moving, this would trigger a "move complete" and delete the original. This is no longer an issue.

Cutting a file is not like cutting text. When you cut text, the source "disappears." Under normal clipboard situations, cutting or copying NEW text will erase the current contents from the clipboard, losing the source forever (minus an undo, if the application is still open). Mac is intuitive enough to treat different clipboard actions differently. If you "cut" a file and don't paste it anywhere, but instead cut/copy something new/unplug your computer/jump in a volcano, NOTHING HAPPENS.

This is probably intentional behavior before 10.5.2 (though I'm not sure if this was prevalent in Tiger and earlier) due to the widely known glitch of data loss. This has been fixed. Fix Cut/Paste of files. Moving files up one directory is a pain in the ass.

15. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This doesn't do anything special that I can see. Did you mean the option key? This modifier duplicates the file.

17. ramparts macrumors regular

Well, what's wrong with copy and paste is that it doesn't move the file. It copies the file. They're just different functions. Opening another window and dragging and dropping, and copying/pasting then going back and deleting the original, are both really clunky compared to a simple CMD-X/CMD-V. And there's not a lot you can say Windows has that Mac doesn't (coming from a fairly recent switcher).

And I don't get why people seem to think you can lose your file if you forget to paste - it's not like text. I used cut/paste in Windows all the time without hitches; when you cut the file goes grey and if you paste, it gets moved, and if you don't, the file just stays as normal.

18. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

What does Apple not having copy and paste on their mobile device have to do with not having cut and paste on the Mac?

Honestly, Apple doesn't have copy and paste on the iPhone because they haven't developed an intuitive interface for it.

Not having cut and paste in the finder is anyones guess...
    Personal when I switched to the mac (after a lifetime of cut and paste in windows explorer) it never felt natural to cut and paste in the finder. (of course with hot corners and exposé I find it faster easier and more natural just to drag the files around.

Tabbed finder please?!?!

19. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well using Command moves the file (deleting it from the source location after it copies it to the new location) thus not requiring you to go back and trash the original. To me that is the same as cutting and pasting.

20. Jisuo macrumors 6502

Um.. just dragging the file moves it for me? no need for cmd.

21. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Yeah, I should have clarified-- I meant the command key allows you to do that when copying files to another drive. Oops. :eek:

If you just drag to another drive without command, it just makes a copy of the file and leaves the original in place.

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Call it a guess if you insist, but I think this is the real reason:

23. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Last time I checked it was two.

24. ramparts macrumors regular

Okay, soooo.......

I used Windows for years and never had problems with file cut/paste, so I can't see how it's "kludgy" either in theory or in practice, and I'm also not sure why it's inconsistent, but personally I'd prefer having ultra-useful features to having "consistency" in my OS.

Can you elaborate on why you think this is Apple's reason for omitting cut/paste?