Is there a program that lets you answer calls on your mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by likemyorbs, May 29, 2009.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

how cool would it be to use your mac as a phone via bluetooth? just pair it up with you cell phone, and then when you get a call you get a prompt on the screen to accept or deny. you used to be able to do it with your home phone line on macs back in the early 90's since the phone line was hooked up to your computer. anyone know of an app that could do this?

2. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Never heard of such a program, but I think it would be awesome! I hope Apple offers this as a feature someday. The closest thing I can think of is using a VNC client to control a jailbroken iPhone via your computer, but that's not really the same since it's not like you can use your computer's mic to talk.

3. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Yeah, if it was a built in feature of OS X that would be even better.

4. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

That looks pretty nifty, only it doesn't seem like many features are supported for the iPhone. What I really wish is that my Mac could detect when my iPhone is close via bluetooth, and just allow me to send and receive text messages and answer / place calls from my computer. Would make things a lot easier when my phone's charging in the dock! I guess they'd need an entirely new application for this, since this def isn't something I'd want see integrated in the ever-expanding iTunes and Address Book is too simple for that.

5. icafelawrence macrumors newbie

You might check out Ring Central. It was suggested to me by an actual user, though I admit I haven't had time to look into it too much. Here's a little excerpt from the e-mail the user forwarded to me:
    I think their website is just www.ringcentral.com You can probably poke around on there for more info

6. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! i already got it, too bad i cant text since thats not enabled on the iphone, but i can still call, which is amazing

7. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    If you really want to do texting you can always download Chicken of the VNC and use that with veency on your iPhone to be able to control the phone to do texting.

8. icafelawrence macrumors newbie

You can also use iChat to send a sms messages. I do it all the time! Very convenient!

9. mayanka89 macrumors regular

mayanka89

10. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Then be glad about this thread. It's all about the time you post the thread, and if it gets seen by the right people. :)

11. jibranpcc macrumors newbie

12. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Yeah I've been doing that for a while. One nifty trick I discovered was that if you add someone's phone number as an extra screenname in Address Book, formatted as +1xxxxxxxxxx, and then add that "screen name" to iChat, you can right-click on their name choose which "screen name" to send a message to, being either their AIM name or their phone as a text message. That way you don't have to remember their numbers or have all those random numbers displayed on your buddy list. :)