Is there a programs similar to MS paint on my new pBook

skeet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
22
0
I just got a new powerbook and I need to do some very basic graphic work. (ie design a campaign sign) I am new to OS-X is there a program on here that I can use to develop basic graphics?
 

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
7,113
418
There should be programs on versiontracker.com that do that kind of stuff.

And there's always The Gimp, which is second only to Photoshop yet 100% free and open source.
 

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
1,023
0
London, UK
skeet said:
I just got a new powerbook and I need to do some very basic graphic work. (ie design a campaign sign) I am new to OS-X is there a program on here that I can use to develop basic graphics?
You should have Graphic Converter somewhere in your applications, which is a basic image editor...
 

KD7IWP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
648
2
American living in Canada
I pity this problem

I agree, and to answer from my experience, no. I have always wanted a super basic program where i can click one button and start drawing random shapes with my mouse in whatever color of paint I want. Never have I found a Mac program like Paint. People always say "use Graphic Converter, it comes with your powerbook." They are right that it comes with my powerbook, but it's not the same!! I don't want image editing, I want to DRAW a picture and do NOT want layers or extra buttons. Remember the days of Kid Pix??? THAT's what I want. I hope someone knows of something simple. It's old, but Paint is good. What's sick, is that I open up VPC just for paint sometimes!!!
 

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
7,923
0
Canberra, Australia
KD7IWP said:
Remember the days of Kid Pix??? THAT's what I want. I hope someone knows of something simple. It's old, but Paint is good. What's sick, is that I open up VPC just for paint sometimes!!!
i say we start a 'bring back kid pix' movement. ah....the memories. i used to love that program (from about 8 years ago when i was still in primary school :) ). it had the most awesome little tools and functions (much better than anything MS paint does)!!!

BRING BACK KID PIX!!!!!!

sorry bout that little outburst....i feel very passionate about it....LOL :D
 

0098386

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
21,576
2,908
*sighs* Kid Pix... the only art app that talks. "oops!" "oh-no!" "vrmrmmrlmeh"

and of course the dynamite stick.

what ever happened to it? who made it?

and yes. i wish there was a super-basic art app that came with OSX. fairplay to gimp but like you said, its second only to photoshop. making it a photo editing package.
 

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
7,923
0
Canberra, Australia
i just had a bit of a look around on google and "Kid Pix Deluxe 4" is still available, but to schools only :( but i cant find the official kid pix site. i have a feeling it was made by 'the learning company' or something like that.
 

geese

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
525
0
London, UK
There must be a free drawing prog SOMEWHERE!

I use Appleworks- its got a nice, simple drawing component which is what you want.
 

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
6,302
1
You know you don't have to use layers in Graphics Converter? I really don't understand how you guys can claim that Graphics Converter is so much more complex than Paint ... jeez :rolleyes:

(Yes, it's sick to open up VPC to draw in Paint)
 

MemphisSoulStew

macrumors regular
May 10, 2004
174
0
UK
I second geese's nomination for AppleWorks, but unfortunately it's not included with PowerBooks.


skeet said:
I just got a new powerbook and I need to do some very basic graphic work. (ie design a campaign sign) I am new to OS-X is there a program on here that I can use to develop basic graphics?
The AppleWorks Drawing application will be more than adequate for your basic needs.

KD7IWP said:
I have always wanted a super basic program where i can click one button and start drawing random shapes with my mouse in whatever color of paint I want. Never have I found a Mac program like Paint. People always say "use Graphic Converter, it comes with your powerbook." They are right that it comes with my powerbook, but it's not the same!! I don't want image editing, I want to DRAW a picture and do NOT want layers or extra buttons
...and AppleWorks includes a painting application that will do exactly want you want.

I really think AppleWorks gets an awful lot of bad press - it's an extremely useful little suite of applications, and I use parts of it almost every day.
 

Similar threads

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.