Is there a protection setting to read SD cards?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tpcollins, Jul 8, 2014.

1. tpcollins macrumors regular

I have a couple trail cams that I use to take wildlife pictures but too many times my Macbook Pro will not read the SD card. Sometimes if I reinsert it several times it might work, sometimes it won't. And there's times when my Macbook will read it, it won't work in my trail cams.

First, I can't figure out how to format the SD cards on my Macbook, and if I did I'm not sure if they'd work in my trail cams afterwards. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. tpcollins thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Dekard, I've used that program before in trying to format some of my SD cards. Even some new cards that I just received online that were in sealed Sandisk packaging don't want to work, plus the Disk Utility just wants to spool on and on with really fixing anything.

Last night I could't get my Canon camera's SD card to work. I went and got my wife's camera, inserted her SD into my Mac and everything loaded in a matter of seconds. I'm at a lost at want to do.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

I've come to the conclusion that the Mac OS doesn't handle camera-formatted SD cards that well.

Sometimes they work just fine.
    Other times.... ????

There's a cheap and easy solution that will cost less than $15.

That is, buy a USB3 "card reader", and use that instead.

When I put the SD card into the reader and plug it into the Mac, it mounts first time, every time....