Is there a quicker way to clone an installation?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by G-Com, May 23, 2008.

1. G-Com macrumors regular

The way I have my iMac drive set up is with a bootable, fully configured installation of OS X on its own partition.

I used Disk Utility to create the partitions and use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the backup installation to the main partition once a month or so. It takes roughly a half-hour. Is there a quicker, inexpensive way to do it?

Thank you. :)

:apple:

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

seems like a good way as Disk Utility comes with OS X and Carcon Copy CLoner is free.

but what i would do is get an external hard drive and then clone to that as if you hard drive dies you would loose the clone too.

3. G-Com thread starter macrumors regular

I'll work on that next day off.

Thanks for the response. :)

:apple:

4. Crown16 macrumors regular

I cloned my internal HD to an external drive but how do i boot from my external drive?

5. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

In the System Preferences, on the System line, there is Startup Disk. Have your external plugged in and choose it if it comes up as a choice.

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Alternatively, hold down the Option key at startup; you'll be presented with a list of all bootable volumes. This allows you to select a different boot volume for that session only without altering your set Preferences.

7. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

Definitely get an external drive. You can use a program like SuperDuper to clone the disk to the new drive. It also allows you to perform and schedule fast incremental backups (just copying what has changed).

8. Crown16 macrumors regular

i want to clone my internal HD so i can boot from muy external HD, so i can erase my internal HD so the computer runs faster. i have succesfully booted form my external. nou i just need to find out what is eating de Gb's in my internal HD. apps are only 26Gb or so. what could be eating so much. alle media is on external too.

9. SamoanDude macrumors regular

I don't get it. If you clone it, meaning your going to be putting it right back on, then what's the purpose?

10. G-Com thread starter macrumors regular

I'm talking about cloning an installation from one partition to another partition.

Right now, it takes about 30 minutes to copy the contents of the Restore partition to the main partition using Carbon Copy Cloner.

I'm just trying to find something faster.

Here's a pic of the desktop with the partitioned drive:

Attached Files:

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Uh.. I must say, cloning your current install to another partition on the same logic drive gives you almost no data safety whatsoever.

12. G-Com thread starter macrumors regular

I've got all the stuff backed up on an external drive. I learned my lesson a long time ago about backing up stuff. Music, movies, pics, docs, preferences... all safe on a totally different drive.

I'm talking about something TOTALLY different. [​IMG] I want to know if there's a faster way to clone the contents of the Restore partition (which contains a fully-configured installation of OS X,) to the Macintosh partition. I use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the installation from the Restore partition to the main partition. It takes about 30 minutes. I was wondering if there was a faster method, such as using the Image feature in Disk Utility?

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Use SuperDuper and pay for it so you can use the "Smart Update" which is basically an incremental update.

14. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Carbon Copy Cloner has the same feature and is free. Don't get me wrong, I use SuperDuper as well, but I prefer to use CCC now. My incremental backups (clones) take less than 15 minutes.

15. G-Com thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the responses. :) I'l check out SuperDuper later.