Is there a real need for me to get an iphone guys?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fouracre44, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Fouracre44 macrumors regular

Hi guys,

I'm not looking for any negative answers, it's a serious question I assure you and yes I have a mind of my own, I'm looking for a little info on people who own the iphone and know a little about mobiles.

I am currently finished my contract, I HAD an iphone 4s, it was given to me by my dad as I work for him as a work phone, but when the contract ended he has asked for the phone back to give to one his managers or something.

Anyway, I make plenty enough to pay for my own phone and get whatever phone I like. The truth of it is though, I'm not even sure I want an iphone 5, I think the smart phone technology is great and I am quite impressed by the 4g network after doing speed tests on it, quite impressed with the new displays & quad cores being thrown into phones its crazy.

The thing is, I use my mobile phone to make, receive calls & send texts, & store numbers. I don't give a **** about cameras, games, apps, & all the other junk that affects battery life. My life is divided up between doing my apprenticeship, hanging out with my girlfriend, surfing & fishing. Like at the moment, I struggle to be able to play all my pc games, so I'm even debating if I want to build a new pc with the new Haswell CPU's. I am not the kind of person that " appreciates " extra feautures unless they are truly useful for me.

If they had a cheaper iPhone or one that wasn't gonna run me $110 a month I'd get it, but Man people are getting swindled paying well over $80 a month for a PHONE but thats their decision.

What is my best option here guys? I consider the iphone to be the best smart phone around due to the advanced OS which I think it's stable & easy to use. I don't like the gs3 / gs4 note, any samsung product other than the tv's SUCK. Someone help me hey, I just need a phone, but I do care about battery life & call quality.

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

If you don't care about running apps, checking email, having your calendar, having web access, etc., then just get a "feature phone" (basically a non-smartphone). If you want smartphone features, the plans are going to be the same regardless of whether it's an iPhone or Android phone. You can get a cheaper (or free) Android phone from most carriers, so then it's just a matter of preference and whether you want an iPhone in particular.

3. CEmajr macrumors 601

For your needs I would suggest getting a used older iPhone model like the iPhone 3GS. Then getting service on it through one of the prepaid carriers like Straight Talk, Net 10, T-Mobile, or something so that the monthly bill is only $40-50 per month and no contract. No need to get an iPhone 5 with a $100+ per month phone bill for your needs.

4. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

OP from what you've said I'd stick with a dumb phone. If you don't need all the extra goo then no reason to compromise the core functionality of the phone.

With that said, it's interesting to me that with an iPhone (or any modern smartphone) it starts to wrap its functionality around you and all of a sudden you can't live without the various apps, etc.

I'm not trying to talk you into it but as a surfer I could see you open an app to check waves and conditions and then check traffic. Send some pics to the GF and she can watch you on Find My Friends to know when you left and when you are arriving. Mark a good surfing or fishing spot to get back to it or send the coordinates to your friends so they can join you. It's handy on-the-go to check stores for stuff in stock or tap to call them from their website, buy things, etc. And of course the music. More than once I've had to change plans mid-stream when the weather brews up a surprise but I'm monitoring it on the phone. Anyway, I'm starting to sound like a cheerleader but honestly I use my PC *much* less. A smartphone won't replace your PC gaming, but you might find games you like as much or better on the phone and it's easy to whip out the phone while waiting for an appointment or whatever when you're fire-breathing PC is at home.

Maybe a good place to start is cruising the App store and see if anything catches your eye. Just my $.02 USD. :)

5. Mrbobb, Apr 25, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2013

Mrbobb macrumors 601

But he said he used the 4s, in fact finishing his contract, so if by now he hasn't been bitten by the Apps bug (in fact he also said he doesn't care about it), I think we're all done.

Dumb cheap phone my man, the quality of the call is mostly having to do with your location and carrier, so if u been happy with your carrier, stick with them.

If you luv the iPhone there is nothing wrong with getting another one even if you don't use all its features. A piece of well made hardware is in itself reason enough specially if you can afford it. I approve.

Toolulu!

6. Paskell macrumors member

Clearly the us has horrible plans.. Assuming you are from there as I am from Canada and have a iPhone 4S with unlimited everything for $55 a month on Telus. I don't understand how your bill could be 110.. My contract was just up this month so 55 is a three year contract price I can go get the iPhone 5 or wait for galaxy s4 etc and get unlimited everything for about 50 still... Anyways your problem.. I'd get a new iPhone or a new smartphone at least if you have the money better to have the features if you need them than not have them when you do.. Also you sound pretty into technology with pc games so I'm sure some point you'll have time to mess around with a few apps

7. Fouracre44 thread starter macrumors regular

Dude.. I'm From Australia, Prices are WAY more expensive here. Don't make any assumptions dude, you just look like an *******. :rolleyes: I suppose one person had to make a comment like that.

With Telstra ( The only GOOD Telco ) The cheapest I could get the iphone 5 for would be like $75 without insurance, which I would get as I always do with expensive phones.

I don't " Want time " to mess around with apps. It doesn't work like if you ever need them they are there. Man seriously just go read the original post like everyone else did.

Cheers to everyone for the responses.

What good dumb phones can I find in Australia ?

Www.mobicity.com.au is usually where most Australians buy their handsets from? Just looking for good battery life & descent call quality, other stuff is not necessary. NO gimmicky phones though. If someone could help me find a few good ones on there, that'd be awesome.

Cheers

8. Paskell macrumors member

How's that make me look like an ass doesn't matter where your from anything over 50 a month is a joke..

9. Fouracre44 thread starter macrumors regular

www.telstra.com.au on the smallest plan, smallest iphone 5 ( memory wise ) is $71

feel free to look. Dude you have no idea, we pay so much for things in Australia. For example, most of the songs that are 99 cents in the itunes store are usually $1.70 for us even sometimes $2.19

Thats WITH an iphone 5. You have no idea what your talking about.

The only other way I could get one would be buying one outright for over $700

10. Davejprince macrumors regular

11. DesertEagle macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

Not even music or e-mail? Then no need for smartphone. I would spend that money on something else if I were you.

12. Fouracre44 thread starter macrumors regular

Cheers guys!

It's quite funny, because I'm technologically savvy but I am also SOMEWHAT of a minimalist ( not really ) but I like to keep it simple, I just will use an ipad mini to do everything I need but the phone part.

Great battery,
    Great call quality.

Any suggestions?

Dumb phones :)

13. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Put your current iPhone on T-Mobile 70 unlimited talk text and data

14. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

So no one has any idea what they're talking about but you still want advice on what phone to buy? Buy one you like, if you're not getting a smart phone I'm pretty sure all the ones you're looking at will make calls and send text. But hey, I probably don't know what I'm talking about.

15. DesertEagle macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

Nokia 100
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_100

And for battery life, the 105 is even better.

16. MVRL macrumors regular

MVRL

^ i agree. Nokias are built tough and easy to use. They have all the features you need without all the extras you don't care for.

The reason I prefer my iP5 is because of the GPS and camera. I can't tell you how many times these functions have saved my ass in the past few months.

17. everythingfun macrumors member

my experience is that once you get the iphone, you will sooner or later find more use of it. So don;t waste money buy a feature phone.

18. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Saw this thread and found it amusing because I'm in exactly the opposite position while pondering an iPhone.

I've got a "feature" phone I use rarely (I prepay on T-Mobile and it costs me $15/year) and an iPod Touch I use constantly, wishing only for a data plan! I'd love to combine the two into an iPhone but the plans always seem to be based on unlimited calling and limited data.

I need an iPod Touch that's a mini iPad mini!

19. Mrbobb macrumors 601

OP are u new to the Internet? 90% of the information u get are throw-away typical, specially when is free. Don't get all bunched up dude.

20. jlehman macrumors member

Debating Too

Interesting thread. I am thinking of getting out of the smartphone game too. My work situation has changed. I went from a traveling PC Tech to working in a College IT Department. I flat out needed a smartphone for the traveling job to catch up on tickets and get directions. With the College job i was given a PC and iPad. I also now have a 15" MBP which i primarily use. But now i find myself only making calls on my iPhone 4. I occasionally check the weather and use the Flipboard app for news aggregation but other than that its a phone.

I refuse to buy android (while it has come a long way, i personally don't think an open platform is good for anyone except the companies that are profiting from them)

Windows Phone 8 looks the most interesting except lack of Apps and Verizon Wireless basically only carries the bottom end ones.

I also refuse to buy a Feature Phone through a major carrier and get suckered into a 2 year bull crap contract.

I'm waiting to see more from Apple and ATT and VW in regards to WP8. I may switch to ATT for a better phone selection but right now everyones is bad. They are selling 1.5 year old phones or pushing everyone to get the Galaxy S4. iPhones seem stale to me. I'm not impressed at all whatsoever with the iPhone 5.

I'm gonna wait till May unless i hear of a good OS redesign for iOS or hear that VW actually wants to sell good windows phones or I may just go with a Tracphone and save some money. It's hard to justify $150 month for 2 iPhone 4's so my wife can check Facebook and i can check the weather and news. We both have iPads anyway. Really the only reason i haven't got rid of the iPhone 4s is because of Google Maps and traveling which we don't do much but it comes in handy.

To the OP, congratulations if you can give up the smartphone crap. I'm trying to talk myself out of it too.

21. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Amusing u guys come to an iPhone forum asking how u get out of it. Must be no traffic at the other forums.

22. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

Sounds like this is what you need ;)

[​IMG]

23. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

to me you need only a normal, not smart, phone. However I also think that after a while without iPhone you'll feel the lack of it. so try a prepaid plan, ready to switch soon or after.....

24. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

More like this:

[​IMG]