Is there a reason that Siri is muted on the Apple Watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Newtons Apple, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

It would be nice if she responded. I do not make calls on the watch but there are time when I use Siri that it would be nice to hear her answer rather than get her text.

2. cdewitt macrumors member

Shes muted (initially) in iOS9 as well. Although she will answer through audio in iOS9... i dont mind her completely muted on the watch.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

My guess is that getting Siri to speak out loud on the watch takes too much battery power, processing power, and/or bandwidth (for passing the voice data back and forth between iPhone and watch).

4. rowdt1 macrumors regular

Because then everybody would say "Hey Siri" and activate Siri and call your mother.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I don't see how Siri being mute can stop this.

6. Donstil-nl macrumors 6502

Donstil-nl

It's a bummer Siri want talk back.
    I would be way nicer to keep your arm "hanging" while using Siri. That way it would be a real assistant.

Now i have to keep my arm in front of my face (or so I can see it) what makes it uncomfortable. So I am not using him (Our Siri is a dude)

7. rowdt1 macrumors regular

I didn't really expect a serious answer to my response but you're right.

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

well, your post has me now wondering if such a prank is actually possible.... :D

9. Newtons Apple thread starter macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

If we can make phone calls on the watch I would think a short Siri session would not hurt the battery.

10. LewisChapman macrumors 6502a

LewisChapman

I can only think of the reason being that there is no way to 'privately' use Siri. Whereas on the iPhone you can raise the phone to your ear and listen to Siri through the earpiece which is much more private and looks like you are using the phone.

11. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I'm guessing there was a problem with performance so to avoid the complaints it was easier to say its not part of the design and keep working on it. Once they figure how how to make her quick enough to reply they will offer it as a new feature.

12. matt2053 macrumors 6502a

This is the best answer so far and it would make perfect sense if it wasn't for the fact that this feature was removed.

13. jannette macrumors 6502

Just wondering....do men have a female Siri and women have a male one? I have a man! I have never considered changing to the female one!

14. LewisChapman macrumors 6502a

LewisChapman

I personally don't feel that this is the case. Adding a voice (which would be rendered and processed on the phone) would not be that much of a hit on the performance scale. In regards to energy consumption - we will have to see how the use of the speaker by third-party applications affects battery life once OS2.0 lands.

15. LewisChapman macrumors 6502a

LewisChapman

The feature was not removed. The 'Raise to speak' feature was removed but if you hold your home button now and prompt Siri, then place the phone to your ear and speak, you will find that the spoken response is delivered through the earpiece.

16. LewisChapman macrumors 6502a

LewisChapman

I am a male and I have a female Siri. There's just something about having a female assistant..

17. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think in American English, the female voice is the default. I'm keeping mine female because my partner says he doesn't like the male voice, and I don't care much either way.

18. jannette macrumors 6502

Oh! In the UK we get the male voice by default! I will try the female Siri tomorrow!

19. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

You are thinking about your iPhone. You can't tell on the :apple:Watch.:D

20. LewisChapman macrumors 6502a

LewisChapman

Then what are you talking about?

21. applewatch macrumors regular

Siri on the :apple: Watch.

22. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Read the title of the thread. Siri is mute on the :apple:Watch so there is NO male or female voice.:eek:

23. LewisChapman macrumors 6502a

LewisChapman

Siri on the Watch has no voice. I responded to @jannette under the assumption she was talking about Siri on any other iOS device, since whether the Watch Siri is male/female is irrelevant.

I do know what the topic of the thread is - I made several posts earlier regarding the topic.

Apologies for the misunderstanding.

24. Recognition macrumors 6502

Recognition

If you enable voice over in the accessibility menu on the watch, Siri will talk back to you, unfortunately he'll also read out everything else the screen...

It's a male voice for me in the U.K.