Is there a reason to buy APTV? when I have a PS4?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by DogBreath99, Oct 24, 2014.

1. DogBreath99 macrumors newbie

And a smart TV?

I can get Hulu on my computer as well and I don't listen to music through my TV - so what is really the purpose of ATV?

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

most of the "smart TVs" and media players have a lot of overlap. so adding a different one probably won't add too many unique features.
    (i've got 3 ways to watch netflix in the living room -- aTV, blu-ray player, and the TV itself)

with the aTV, you get 2 things you don't on the others.

1- access to the iTunes store for video rentals and purchases

2- airplay, which only applies if you have another iOS device (iphone/ipad).
    If you're watching a video on a webpage on your phone, or looking at pictures, and want to share with friends, or see them bigger? you can send them to the TV.
    some apps that you watch video in will airplay video directly, some wont, It all depends on the app developers and what they want to allow.
    also some games let you use the aTV as a second screen, so the controls are on your phone, but the action is on your TV.

3. VideoBeagle macrumors 6502a

Or if you have a mac at home...same stuff about the iOS stuff applies.

Basically, if you have an Apple infrastructure already (Mac or itunes or iphone etc..) it's really useful and convienent and works smoothly with them. If you don't, then no there's not much advantage.

4. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

An AppleTV is the only way to get Hulu and Netflix on your TV without paying through a subscription only service to gain access. I.E. you can just use an iTunes account.

You can stream content from your Mac, or iOS device to Apple TV

You can buy/rent content from the iTunes store and watch it directly on your TV without an intermediary device.