Is there a reason to get an iphone of I already have an ipad air and an android phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Alundra, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Alundra macrumors regular

Ive always loved ipads, they are really useful to work and awesome to consume entertainment. Ever since I got my ipad mini my samsung galaxy s4 has seen little usage apart from making calls,taking pictures etc.

Now that i have the ipad air, its the same. I never liked the iphone in the past, compared to android phones, (although i have to admit that the ios is more stable and there are more and better apps for it) due to it having a very small screen, and huge bezels. The design and screen size might change in the iphone 6 if rumors are true.

Do you still have alot of usage for your iphone if you already have an ipad?

Is the extra price youre paying over other android phones justifiable?

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It's worth it since you can have the iPad and phone work together better and share some of the same apps if they are both on the same OS. Plus iPhones aren't that much more expensive than equivalent androids especially if you get them subsidized...

3. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Definitely worth it. The 2 go together like PB&J.

4. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Ahh I have a galaxy S4 but I just bought a 5S to go with my iPad mini. I like android but I'm fed up of having so many devices and being a gadget geek. Just wanted to go back to basics so got an iPhone which I will use with my iPad mini.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're using a lot of apple services, like iTunes and iCloud yeah having an iPhone and iPad makes a lot of sense imo.

6. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

The real question should be: is there any reason to have a Galaxy S 4 if I have an iPad and I could have an iPhone ? :D

7. Mrbobb macrumors 601

8. thehustleman macrumors 65816

No, why would you want to downgrade your user experience essentially limiting yourself in phone capability when you already have a better phone and the best tablet?

9. Apple Trees macrumors 6502

Yes. You already have the best tablet out, why not get the best phone too? The integrated apps and services are an added bonus.

10. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Yes to both but these are both highly subjective matters and you can't just randomly poll people to determine the answers for yourself. You need to decide based on your needs, wants, preferences, priorities, budget, etc. These aren't questions with one-size-fits-all answers.

Better/best is always highly subjective.

11. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

bingo.

someone with some sense in this thread.

if you use your devices for two separate and distinct tasks there is not much you will benefit from the "apple ecosystem" - even though they will tell you you can't live without it.

12. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Lol that's the question I asked myself. The iPhone won out in the end.

13. SassyLee macrumors newbie

Well I don't have a S4 but do have a Note3 which goes along with my Note10 and 5s to go along with various Ipads. Life is good.

14. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Well, I don't like the Android environment, but I can understand someone like it and using an android smartphone and an android tablet.
    What I can't understand is someone mixing the things .... the best point in Apple world is the integration: a Mac, an iPad and an iPhone work together very very well.

15. thehustleman macrumors 65816

They said they have a note, so yes, they already have the best phone out.

16. Alundra thread starter macrumors regular

What kind of interactions can I have between the iphone and the ipad?

Can i remotely control keynote presentations on the ipad with the iphone?

What about gaming? Is there something like sharing the same save file between the iphone and the ipad?

17. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

If the tasks are taking and viewing/editing pics, I'd say have an iPhone AND iPad makes for a better experience given the auto syncing across the two. Then if you have a Macbook/iMac it only gets better.

There are third party options - but I can't use dropbox to stream photos to my AppleTV. Sometimes, one ecosystem has its benefits.

For me it comes down to what the people I contact/share with most have. 99% of them have iPhones....so I stick with iOS. Also I'm much more used to iOS and it suits me better than Android.

As soon as my Nexus 5 sells on eBay, I'm picking up a 5C to use along with my 5S. One for work, one for play. One OS/ecosystem for all my devices = awesome for me.

18. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

I now am using the iPhone 5S and the iPad rmini. Loving each device, and loving how well they work together. I also love new gadgets, but for the life of me I can see a need for 2 iPhones. I understand one is for work, but can't the work phone be used for (fun), or every day personal use too. Also isn't that extremely redundant? Would you not have all the same stuff on two separate iPhones?

19. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

You're bringing up things I've already considered. Here's my issue:

(1) Main problem is my personal number is attached to A LOT of stuff. Vets, doctors offices, family/friends have the number, etc. I've had the same cell number since I've had a cell phone - going on a decade now. Not really keen on changing that.

(2) I've had an Android phone in the spot of "personal phone" since Feb. Really, I prefer having my iPhone with me and if I could use an Android device for work, I would. But I'm getting tired of ALWAYS having both my phones with me. If my personal device were an iPhone, I'd likely leave my work phone home more often.

(3) I just don't have any overwhelming attachment to Android and the cons outweigh the pros for me at this point. I like iMessage, visual voicemail, iCloud, Photo Streams, iTunes (on the phone) and iTunes Match, app quality, and surprisingly enough, the size of the device.

Once Apple comes out with a larger iPhone, I'll grab one. I've wanted to pick up a 5C for some time now as a backup to have as I sell my iPhones to buy the new one (i.e. use the 5C so I can sell the 5S to buy the 6). Just got to the point where I'm just too content with Apple and iOS and the whole ecosystem. It really just works for me.

I'll get over the redundancy. Sure some of the apps will be the same, though I'll likely keep games and shopping apps off my work phone and load those on my personal one. And the design of the 5C is enough of a departure to make the phones "feel" different enough from one another. I also REALLY dig the 5C design.....gonna get the green one.

EDIT: I'll add, if I could buy a 5C without selling the Nexus 5 I would. Just can't justify keeping the device I wouldn't use at the $350 expense. Being essentially an equal swap price wise (selling the N5 for $349.99 + shipping and I can purchase a new 5C at the early upgade price of $350), its no problem.

20. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

Well if that suits you go for it. I brought the iPhone 5S about a week ago, and I have been loving it. I debated the 5C because I really do like the design. I just wanted the best Apple had to offer so I went with the 5S. Touch ID was also a big selling point after I saw how well it worked.

21. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Yup - I'll use the 5C as my personal phone until the 6 is released, then buy that as my personal device and keep the 5S for work, while the 5C gets relegated to backup duty. Then from there it'll be "sell the personal phone for the newer one and use the 5C until I get the newer one".

We'll see how it goes. I may get sick of two iPhones and go back to Android. At this point though I know I'm a Nexus guy so being they are off-contract cheap, I'm not too worried or concerned. Hopefully, my goal of carrying both phones less will come about.

22. I7guy macrumors G5

I really have mixed feelings about 2 IOS devices. My previous combination of 4 year old storm 2 and iPad was perfect. Blackberry (BES) email is far and away better than Microsoft exchange active sync and the email limits drive me crazy. Email is half of what I do.

Phone calls are important to, the quality of calls on the iPhone is superior to my old blackberry.

If I hadn't dropped my storm 2 on the concrete so many times, I probably would still have it, however after four years it owed me nothing.

23. Alundra thread starter macrumors regular

What kind of interactions can I have between the iphone and the ipad?

Can i remotely control keynote presentations on the ipad with the iphone?

What about gaming? Is there something like sharing the same save file between the iphone and the ipad?

24. Robster3 macrumors 68000

I see your idea i am thinking the same. I run my Business with a 5S and have no other phone lines. Thinking of getting a 5C for personal use after buss hours so i can still have a phone and other uses without being bothered by calls. Probably buy outright and go pre paid.

I use a iPad air, 5S and 15" MBPr all work together great.