Is there a reason why the 8gb nano doesn't come in color?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by traviis, Sep 14, 2007.

1. traviis macrumors newbie

my 1gen 4gb nano has been dead for like 2 months now and it costs like $70 to get the battery replaced(ripoff) and since ill be getting the same old scratched up nano back i'v decided to just buy a new one. (how do they open it to add a new battery? i dont see a way to open it) iv been saving up tha pennies for the blue 8g nano but today when i was at radioshack i was told they only come in black and red, wtf? why not other colors?

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

the 8 gb version of the third generation nano come in all five colors. the 4 gb only comes in silver.

Attached Files:

3. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Maybe you should have checked the apple website before posting......

4. traviis thread starter macrumors newbie

what makes u think i didnt check the apple website? no where told me why the *second gen* didnt come in color so i decided to ask on a forum. im not really diggin the 3g nanos they look a bit wide and clumsy from those pics =/

5. greg555 macrumors 6502a

For a while black was Apple's "exclusive" colour: you had to pay more to get a laptop in black, and you had to buy a more expensive nano to get black (which also gave you 4 more GB). Later the Product Red iPod came out so then you had two choices if you wanted 8GB.

With the new wide nanos they collapsed the 3 memory sizes (2, 4, 8GB) down to two (4 and 8) so now you can get the top memory size in any of the colours.

Greg

6. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

Perhaps the title of your post, you didn't state that you wanted to ask about the 2G's The 3G's are hot now so it's only natural that the other posters thought that that's what you were referring to.
    I thought so to, but the pictures do not do them justice. Go see them in person, and then decide. While the evolution from 1G to 2G was pretty much just cosmetics and a storage increase the 3G is an evolutionary step up from the 2G in terms of features and usability. Unless you can get a really great deal on a 2G and you priority is saving some cash the new nano is the way to go.

7. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

Maybe what the guy at radio shack meant was they can only get black and red ones since 2G nanos are no longer produced.

8. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

The general answer to why certain models come in one color:

If that model is more expensive, it is because Apple knows that some people are willing to pay extra for black.

If the model is cheaper, it is because there is less profit on less expensive items and more expense in making and storing different colors of the same thing. Also, watch at Christmas as parents come in to buy iPods for their kids. The 4 GB nano is all their children need but they want different colors so their kids can tell whose is who.

"Sorry, only the 8 GB model comes in colors, but you could buy Shuffles or colored cases for the 4 GB nanos."
    "Nah, they won't like that."​

Apple is so good at the upsell that they usually try to down-sell and let you make the decision to spend more.

9. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

The 2G, 8GB nano only came in black and red. The new 8GB nano adds green, blue and silver to that, for a cheaper price. They probably thought you meant the 2G nano.

As for opening up the 1G nano: I'm sure Apple has some better tools for it, but I managed to pry it open with a small flat head screwdriver.