Is there a retro-mac store?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by MacBH928, Feb 7, 2016.

1. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

So I wanted to buy an original ibook and an iMac for so long that those items went from being "retro" to antique by today's standards (I didn't because I couldn't afford it). I was wondering is there any place that sell those retro-antique machines refurbished/restored?

It will suck to buy one and have it break within a month. I heard there was a guy on youtube called the ibookguy that used to do it but no longer does.

2. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

The years are not kind to electronic devices. Capacitors leak. Batteries die. Chips come loose. The only thing anyone can promise is that the machine was working when they sold it to you. Whether it will still work when UPS delivers it cannot be guaranteed.

3. Cineplex macrumors 6502a

Cineplex

The best place to get these is on eBay (for better or worse). All of the vendors that sold these things used have stopped selling them. eBay gets some really good iMacs and iBooks in boxes (opened) from time to time.

The biggest problem with iMacs are the displays, they are all at the age of ready to fail. There are still some service part CRTs out there new in box I've seen pop up from time to time. If you see any yellowing or off white color issues...don't bother. It will die very soon. I would look for ones that have boxes with them, as they are usually the better finds.

iBooks are a lot easier. They have very few issues. I've bought tons off eBay and they are usually fine. There is a vendor on there that refurbishes them and sells them. "mhd59michael" is his name. I have never purchased any from him, but he has been on there for years and has good looking stuff. He does rebuild them from scratch in some cases. That is probably your best bet for iBooks.

4. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

thanks for the helpfuil tips...
    so sad to hear the original iMacs are not going to survive much longer

5. Cineplex macrumors 6502a

Cineplex

Ya, it really is a shame. I found the iMacDV's from 99/00 last longer. All of the late model Indigo's I've interacted with have died without warning. The DV's seem to show signs before they go (yellowing and alignment issues). The snow 600/700MHz models are the most recent so they will last the longest......but snow is a boring color really. You could always find a newer snow and an older DV in the color of your choice and swap out the plastics. It is relatively easy, but on some iMac's the plastic clips are just too brittle and will just snap no matter how carful you are. Try to avoid iMacs that have been in schools or businesses as they will have the highest hours of use. Some old lady/man that bought it in 2001/2002 for "email" will be your best bet lol. Good luck with your search! If you ever have any questions feel free to ask.

6. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

Sorry, what do you mean by iMacDV's? I heard that term before I just forgot. I just call them original iMacs.

Those original imacs and ibooks are one of a kind and we will never see them again. I always thought at least someone should refurbish them, I guess you can install an LCD screen in place of the CRT. If there are businesses that will maintain and fix classic cars, why not computers?

7. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

The 400 MHz+ slot-loaders, first released in late 1999, which offer VGA and FireWire 400 ports.
    There is someone offering original iBooks refurbished with modern internals on eBay. It's a bit out of most people's price range though.

8. Cineplex macrumors 6502a

Cineplex

People have swapped out the CRT for an LCD...but in the DV models....I think it looks stupid as they are very translucent and without the CRT parts...is just an empty case. Maybe in the original iMac that has the metal shroud hiding the internals, it could work.
    That thing looks awful! It looks like they sanded off the rubber and polished the plastic underneath,exposing the thickened plastic areas intended to add strength. For $3,000 I would expect something more OEM looking, not a botched FrankenMac. It looks very rough and the screen contrast is way off. Based on his feedback, doesn't look like they are selling, and I am not surprised. Maybe for $300 someone will bite....but $3,000...no way. You can get a refurbished MacPro from Apple for $2,500 ish.

9. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

Well maybe they can keep the CRT internal in there for the "vintage" look even after installing the LCD.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 23, 2016 ---
    Wow, this will be awesome if it is really refurbished with newer internals. but as CinePlex says, for $3000 thats the price of car. I am going to guess the whole internals are not worth $200 all together. Seller can ask up to $500 max giving its fully functional and reliable.

10. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

The same guy is doing just that with his revision 2 of a slot loader:

11. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

I personally like it, its the closest thing you probably can get today to the original thing. Maybe we can hope some Chinese manufacturer decides to build a knockoff