Is there a right click disabler enabler for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by breweriana, Jan 9, 2011.

1. breweriana macrumors newbie

This is not a question on how to enable right clicking on a Mac.

The question is: Is there is a download for the Mac OS which will enable me to override the php scripts on websites that disable right clicking?

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

It's not a php script doing that, it's probably javascript.

Disable javascript in your browser.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

That is correct. It is Javascript and I used to use the no right click script on a few of my sites.

4. breweriana thread starter macrumors newbie

Disabling Javascript worked but...

Thanks...disabling Javascript in Firefox worked. Is there another way of doing it? So, I can keep Javascript enabled as I browse around the internet but I can quickly click a link or something to temporarily disable javascript?

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yep. Use the NoScript plugin for Firefox.

6. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Another way to is create a bookmarklet. Basically, you drag the link on this page into your bookmark bar, and when you run across a site that disables right click, you just click a regular link in your bookmark bar, and your right click will be enabled again. Way better than disabling Javascript completely

http://javascript.about.com/library/blright.htm

7. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

For those who use Safari, go to Preferences, Advanced, and check "Show Develop menu in menu bar". Now whenever you visit a site and you want to turn off Javascript, you can select it from the Develop menu.

People who disable right-clicking on their web pages are annoying. They usually do it to prevent you from doing a "Save Image", but that only serves to irritate users because (a) there are plenty of other ways to save images and (b) there are plenty of legitimate reasons to right-click. People: Don't bother!

8. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

You obviously have never run a site where people copy and paste your content as fast as they can in order to pass it off as their own. Yes disabling this "protection" is fairly simple, but if I can make "site suckers'" lives even a bit more difficult, I intend to.

I've gone as far as disabling right-click, disabling drag-select, and included special CSS files that cause printing to produce blank pages. Content theft sucks.

9. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

How about encapsulating them in a simple Flash container and then embedding the flash object?

I understand content theft sucks (and you're right, I've never run a site like that) but there's got to be better ways. I do like the blank-print CSS.

As I said, there's always a way. Sometimes it's even legitimate. Here's an example: last year a well-known local artist donated one of his prints to a silent auction for a charity I volunteer with. The print was the feature of the evening and a major audience draw, so I was to feature it prominently on our website. So I went to his website to find a picture of the print. Of course the artist had done all of the "anti copy" tricks in the book. All I did was screen-capture my browser, cropped the image I needed, and I was done...