Is there a risk to sharing my IMEI?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nathanjbrown, Sep 19, 2013.

1. nathanjbrown macrumors regular

Hello All,

I'm selling my iPhone 5 (AT&T; still under contract of course) on eBay and a potential buyer is asking that I share the IMEI. Is there any risk to me doing so? Does the IMEI enable a shady eBay'er to make changes to my phone/account remotely or obtain confidential information of any kind?

Or is he/she simply trying to verify the status of the phone before purchasing?

Thanks.

Nathan

2. StevenS2k5 macrumors newbie

He is probably just trying to verify the phone isn't stolen. I sell phones very often and include that number in my item description so they can check without having to ask me. I haven't had any trouble or do not know any reason why sharing would be bad. You need the actual phone to make changes to the activation

3. PsstGreek, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013

PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

No risk at all. They probably want to make sure with AT&T that it's not blacklisted. Or maybe if it's unlocked or not.

It'll be up to you whether or not if you want to give the IMEI # out.

4. deeddawg macrumors 603

Yep. Any smart buyer is going to want it before committing to purchase so they can verify the phone isn't stolen/blacklisted.

Your prerogative about giving it out, but there's no danger I'm aware of and you'll turn away some portion of legitimate interested buyers if you refuse to give it out.

Would you buy a used car if the seller wouldn't give you the VIN?

5. nathanjbrown thread starter macrumors regular