iPhone X Is there a safe way to disinfect an iPhone X screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TorontoSS, Oct 20, 2018.

1. TorontoSS macrumors 6502

hello,

Is there a safe way to disinfect iPhone screens, something that won’t strip off the coating?

I’ve had the phone for a year, would all of the coating be gone already?
    Is there a product people use? Some say alcohol wipes but I fear that will ruin the coating.

Thanks!

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Ultra-violet light. There is a product you can buy for the iPhone that will clean it with the light. I don’t recall the name.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Don’t use alcohol wipes. That will deteriorate the oleophobic coating.

This Doesn’t exactly answer your question, however; this is direct from Apple as far as what they recommend for cleaning the display:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204172

4. Dave-Z macrumors 6502a

I use alcohol wipes because I don't care about the oleophobic coating... but as mentioned it will take it off.

UVC light will also kill germs. Google PhoneSoap.

5. puma1552 Suspended

Just use a damp microfiber/lint free cloth, you'll be fine.

6. Renho macrumors 68000

Renho

7. Jordan921 macrumors 601

Jordan921

Yes the alcohol wipes will remove the oleophobic coating but that’s the risk you take if you want to disinfect your phone. I just wipe it down with a damp cloth. Been doing it for years

8. Ta0jin macrumors 6502a

Ta0jin

I use lens cleaning wipes to clean the screen of my phone if it gets too dirty. I know there is some alcohol in the wipes but it won’t completely strip the coating if using it every now and then. I’ve used these wipes on every phone I’ve ever had and never had an issue with fingerprints due to the oleophobic coating being wiped away due to using these wipes. If using without a screen protector the coating will wear away much faster by your fingers than by cleaning the display once in awhile.

9. TorontoSS thread starter macrumors 6502

10. bushman4 macrumors 68020

Any liquid soap or Alcohol wipes or even antibacterial wash will destroy the oleophobic coating on the screen. Remember it’s only a coating and does come off
    Best bet is mineral water albeit a cleaner as opposed to a disinfectant

11. Q-Dog macrumors 6502a

Q-Dog

30 seconds in the microwave would probably take care of it.

12. NJHitmen macrumors 6502

NJHitmen

lol, I’d recommend against this. Strongly. In case anyone is taking that suggestion seriously.

Dropping your phone into a pot of boiling water would get the job done, too. But that doesn’t mean it’s a good idea.

13. tl01 macrumors 68020

Me too! This time I put a screen protector on...but I use alcohol wipes on my phones everyday.

14. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

I mean if it's absolutely filthy then you can use a UV light. Otherwise if you live in a place with sunlight, then using the phone outside will also kill off germs...

15. eoblaed macrumors 68020

eoblaed

16. tl01 macrumors 68020

People don’t do this?? Have you not see how dirty phones are?

17. eoblaed macrumors 68020

eoblaed

As far as I can tell, my phone stays pretty damned clean. Might help that I don’t use a case, though.

18. tl01 macrumors 68020

Lol. I’m am doubting that. Have you not seen the bacteria on phones? You touch it all day after you door knobs, elevator buttons, push a grocery cart, go to the gym... your phone is not clean.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/time/4908654/cell-phone-bacteria

19. thund3rcat macrumors newbie

20. eoblaed macrumors 68020

eoblaed

Fear mongering is huge out there. We do all those things with or without phones. We’re constantly exposed to armies of bacteria... and we’re designed to deal with it just fine. It would be impossible to live on an organic, thriving world otherwise.

21. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I’m fairly conscious of knowingly what can be exposed on a phone, I just use a sanitizer cloth and wipe It down. It’s never affected the oleophobic coating for me, but I also do quickly wipe it off with a clean microfiber cloth additionally.

22. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I use invisible glass and a plush micro fiber towel. Same towels I use on the paint on my car so it’s very safe.

And the invisible glass cleans the phone very well without removing any coating. Probably the strongest I would go without any alcohol.

Phone is always clean, same with iPad.

23. justice4all77 macrumors newbie

justice4all77

I use a product called “Phone Soap” that uses UV light to kill bacteria. I recommend it!