Is there a screen capture for the current window?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rgarjr, Jun 4, 2009.

1. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Instead of capturing the whole desktop, is there a capture (saved file) for only the active app or window?

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

:apple: + Shift + 4, then hit the Space bar, select the window you want :):)

simple

3. OneBlueFire macrumors member

OneBlueFire

And that command works even if the window you want to capture is somewhat behind another window. In short, the window you want to capture doesn't have to be the active one. Let Windows 7 beat THAT! :cool:

4. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

The newer Apples dont use the ":apple:" logo fo the command button.. just so you remember ;)

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ohhh true thanks for that

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

From Apple's Tip of the Week:

Okay, you probably already know the ol’ Command-Shift-3 shortcut for taking a screen capture of your entire screen, and you may even know about Command-Shift-4, which gives you a crosshair cursor so you can choose which area of the screen you want to capture. But perhaps the coolest, most-secret hidden capture shortcut is Control-Command-Shift-3 (or 4), which, instead of creating a file on your desktop, copies the capture into your Clipboard memory, so you can paste it where you want.

7. C-lon macrumors member

REALLY!? That just makes it even MORE confusing! Especially for my friends that use PC's and have no idea about the keyboard shortcuts on Macs.

8. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

It's not that confusing when you see it, there is a command, or apple key, followed by "option" and "control". The command key is the main modifier like Windows' Alt key. It's not difficult to get used to.

At first I thought the mac screenshots were difficult with the button combos but if you use them enough they're simple and more efficient that Windows (up to XP, not so sure about Vista/7). In Windows it is one button, the print screen button -- but I have to open paint, and paste it there, then save the image.

In OS X, I hit CMD+Shift+3 and the desktop is automatically saved as a picture for me, simple. The ones i use most are:

CMD+Option+3 for the entire screen
    CMD+Option+4 (then select an area) for specific areas or windows
    CMD+Option+4+Spacebar to select a window and snap just that