Is there a Send To Space feature anywhere?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by RoboCop001, Dec 4, 2007.

1. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

Sometimes I have a bunch of open apps in one space, and I want to send one to another space.

So, unless there IS a way to do it (then I will look down in shame), I was thinking they could add it to the Dock's pop-up menus for an application. So, you can right-click on, say, FireFox and go to Send to Space... and it shows you the list of spaces. Click on a space, and it flies it over.

I'd imagine you'd actually stay in the space you are already in, and the app just flies away. Or would it make more sense to follow it?

If there's no way to do this already... I'll also send this as a feature request to Apple.

And yes, I know about the dragging between spaces. But sometimes there's a bunch of open windows in one application. And it's just quicker to use the imaginary Dock command.

2. metman787 macrumors member

yes there is

if you click and hold on the window you want to move while pressing command + 1, 2, 3, or 4 that will move it to the specific space. Pretty efficient way of moving windows among spaces. I use it all the time.

Edit: I've noticed this will only move the window though not the entire app if u have multiple windows open. Not sure if there is a way to move the entire app. Sorry

3. RoboCop001 thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

But again, that can be a hassle with more than one window in an application.

I think it'd be cool for the Dock to have that option there, so it send the entire application to whatever space.

4. RoboCop001 thread starter macrumors 65816

5. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I think this is what you want:

http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macosxhints/2007/12/spaces/index.php

-Kevin

6. RoboCop001 thread starter macrumors 65816

Awesome! Thanks!

Although I'd still like to see it implemented in the Dock menus of open applications. I think that would be a little quicker, so you don't have to open Space, hold shift and drag. And especially if the app you want to move is behind another one. Then you have to switch to it first or do Expose in Spaces.

But anyway, thanks for the tip!

7. kostia macrumors regular

I use these Applescripts to assign applications to Spaces (and do a couple other things) without having to enter System Preferences.

http://soylentfoo.jnewland.com/articles/2007/11/22/spaces-application-assignments-and-applescript

Other Spaces timesavers:

I have a mouse button assigned to Spaces (command+right click).

Holding down Shift before dragging a window in that view moves all windows of that application from one space to another, dropping them in the same locations; doing it with one window still drops it in the same location on the new space.

You can drag a window to the edge of the screen to move it to the next space.

8. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Agreed. Hopefully either Apple or a 3rd party can add this functionality. All they need is a simple sub menu called Spaces that has those functionalities.

-Kevin

9. mpw Guest

Here you go.

Attached Files:

10. RoboCop001 thread starter macrumors 65816

lol Thanks. You're lucky I had Google Earth installed.

11. RoboCop001 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out :)

12. SawTooth500 macrumors member

Simple.:eek:

open 'System Preferences/Expose`&Spaces.
    Click on the '+' symbol.
    Choose your app that you want to use
    choose the space by hightlight in the space portion of the window and clicking on '1','2','3',or'4'. This will assign the app to that space.:apple:

13. RoboCop001 thread starter macrumors 65816

No no, I know about that.

Did you read my post? lol... :\

I'm talking about not having to do that. And, with your reply in mind, say I set an application to Space 4. But because space 4 is cluttered, I want to send it QUICKLY to space 3. So I right-click the apps icon in the dock, and go Send to Space - 3. That's what I want.

I really hope they implement it.