Is there a slow down when disk is almost full?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by aaquib, May 17, 2008.

1. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Just wondering if the Mac, like PCs slow down significantly when a lot of content is on the HDD. My nearly 3 week old Mac Mini had 80GB, and even without installing any apps or content, there's only 60GB remaining. It's really small when compared to all the TV shows I download, so I was wondering if it was OK to fill up the Mac Mini HDD, or just buy an external one.

Thanks
    Aaquib

2. elcid macrumors 6502

If I were in your spot I would have all that on an external. I do that with my music and my movies for my Macbook, even easier for a mini.

I dont know if it will slow it down, but just put them all on an external and it will work fine.

3. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Yes, it will, it's more of a hardware thing than a software thing. An external hard drive would be a good place to store your TV shows and whatnot.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I would save the mini's internal for the OS and leave the data on an external. I have 1.5TB on external for my movies/music/data and leave my mini's 120GB internal to OSX and programs (and XP).

5. aaquib thread starter macrumors 65816

aaquib

K, thanks for the quick replies! I think Im just going to pick up a 500gb external HDD for about $100.

6. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

wtf i got my 250 for 100$ errrrr