Is there a Software unlock for the iphone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by marty13612, Nov 10, 2011.

1. marty13612 macrumors newbie

The guy at the local mall said that the only solution was gevey, but I have a feeling he is just saying that.

2. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Jailbreaking and if they have ultrasn0w or something like that. Gevey sim if it's not jailbroken.

3. b24pgg macrumors 65816

The Sprint iPhone 4S currently comes SIM unlocked (won't work with US network SIMs.)

Verizon will unlock the iPhone 4S SIM upon request (won't work with US network SIMs.)

The AT&T iPhone 4s only comes unlocked if bought as a device only, off contract, full retail price purchase at an Apple Store.

The official unlocked iPhone 4S will be on sale some time this month.

4. marty13612 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there a good guide somebody can link me to? The guy at the mall wants to charge me 50$ for the unlock.

----------

This is an Iphone 4. I am in Canada and the previous carrier is Rogers.

5. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Aside from using a Gevey SIM (which is not a software unlock), I don't believe there's been an unlock for the iPhone 4 since 4.0.1, and the dev team hasn't made any mention of one for a long time (except for its unlikelihood). Also, don't pay anyone who claims they can unlock your phone.

6. b24pgg macrumors 65816

Oops, my bad...disregard my above post

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

If off contract Rogers should offer to unlock it for $50.

Or sell it on eBay or Craigslist and buy an unlocked 4 or 4S from Apple here in Canada.

8. marty13612 thread starter macrumors newbie

So what is the reccomended course of action?

Also if my phone is locked to carrier A, and I put a sim card in from carrier B. Will the sim card B break?

Also when I go to my general setting it says the carrier is "Carrier 10.0" What does that mean.

9. riveting macrumors 6502

You put in sim card B, it will say sim card failure. I believe you can go to Rogers, they will unlock your iphone 4 for $50 if the phone is not in a contract period. Otherwise, it is true gevey sim is the only option.