Is there a solution for iCloud and playcounts/ratings?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by jamald, Oct 9, 2011.

1. jamald macrumors newbie

After searching around, I'm getting the impression that iCloud doesn't do anything to keep track of playcounts/ratings/date-last-played information. I've accumulated about 3 years of this data in my library, and it's very useful for playlists and such, so I'm kinda let down. I would love to use iTunes match and iCloud for my music, but I won't do it if I'm going to lose this data. I have a couple questions for those who have used the beta or might otherwise know.

1. If I use iTunes Match to replace my music, will all the tags be reset, including ratings and playcounts?
    2. Will syncing my iPhone still update my activity to the xml file on the PC, even if I downloaded the songs from iCloud rather than syncing to get them onto the Phone?

Any other insight is also appreciated.

2. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Tags and play counts are preserved. To replace lower bit rate tracks, you have to delete them from iTunes. Those tracks are instantly shown with the cloud icon and clicking the icon downloads the higher bit rate track. The current play counts and tags are then shown with the upgraded tracks.

Everything done on the iPhone is updated in iTunes on the computer, play counts and last played and all.