Is there a special charger that speeds up the charging process?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sagah, May 5, 2015.

1. sagah macrumors member

I noticed that the 15’' rMBP charges very slowly but the battery drains pretty fast. Is there a special charger for the rMBP that speeds up the charging process?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

The power supply acts as a water well would. The MBP is the one that decides how much power to pull in at any given time.

Even if you plugged in your MBP staight into the Hoover dam, it'd charge at the same rate.

Also, LiPo batteries don't like being charged too fast, it's not good for them.

What exactly do you mean by very slowly? Usually the first 0-90% should be decently quick, and it should trickle charge up to 100% much slower after that to prevent damage to the battery.

3. 2IS macrumors 68030

If what you're saying is true, that would mean if you have your machine plugged in while in use, the battery would still be draining, and if that's the case, I would take in to get it looked at because that isn't normal.

4. sagah thread starter macrumors member

Mine charges about 2 or 3 percent for each 10 minutes I charge it when I have it on and am actively using it. Is this normal?

5. Yakibomb macrumors 6502

Yakibomb

What exactly are you doing whilst charging it? Just web browsing, or something heavier? As that effects it a lot, for example, when doing 3D renders my battery will hold constant or only go up a few (>10%) % over an hour