Is there a special iPhone for Japan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hehe299792458, Nov 4, 2016.

1. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

Apple is quite famous in its desire to limit fragmentation among iOS devices. There are only a few models, based on GSM/CDMA and TD-LTE/FDD-LTE.

But the iPhone in Japan is special. You cant disable it from making the shutter sound when taking a photo. So my question is: is this implemented in software or hardware?

If hardware, how come I dont see a special hardware version?

If software, what's to prevent the people from just flashing the US version of iOS if the hardware is all the same?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It's in the firmware.

As far as flashing, good luck with that. Even jailbroken iDevices can't be flashed. The bootloader is locked down and the last exploit that worked was for the iPhone 4.

3. hehe299792458 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

Whats to stop them from downloading an iOS version from the US website then?

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Nothing. They can download all the IPSWs they want.

If Apple isn't signing then you can't install. Region is checked and if the IPSW is for the wrong region it won't install.

A jailbreak allows general access to the filesystem. But the files that boot the system are inaccessible and that's where the regional coding is stored. So if you're thinking anything like installing using an IPSW from a different region and installing it like you would on a computer that's not going to work.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It's software related not hardware. All iOS downloads are the same. There is no US or Japanese specific .ipsw
    It checks with apples servers according to the device serial number and downloads specific regional parameters and specs.
    Same way iPhones bought in certain Arabic countries do not have access to use FaceTime.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I stand corrected. Thanks. Learned something tonight.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, it's a shame some countries make Apple cripple their devices with such restrictions.
    But I think not being able to mute the shutter sound is not as bad as having no FaceTime at all.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I've always assumed it was a law in Japan, but I recently found out that isn't the case. It's a request by all of the carriers in Japan.

Same reasoning (upskirt camera pervos), but different context. It's a selling point and not a requirement.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I just find it funny that the upskirt pics are such a serious problem for that part of the world to have carriers and the government put such clause in order to sell iPhones there :D

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I wouldn't know. :)

11. flameproof macrumors 6502a

flameproof

Is that such a big deal? I mean, just put your finger on the speaker and the sound is way less. And who's using FaceTime anyway, there is Whatsapp....

And currently seems that Japan having the cheapest iPhones. Not that attractive to US Americans or Canadians, but for the rest of the world. Compare that: www.iphone-worldwide.com

12. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

Why is this the general consensus just because someone uses WhatsApp? I use FaceTime. Whatsapp is not that great. If two people have iPhones, why use WhatsApp? I have an iMac as well so Facetime is fantastic.

13. flameproof macrumors 6502a

flameproof

Because I use whatsapp anyway and use it all the time. Since everybody I know using it why would I ask for something else?

But if FaceTime works for you it's fine. But my point it, a disabled FaceTime is in no way a no-buy conclusion for me. No Whatsapp would be certainly a no-buy!

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The camera sound is no big deal but I use face time video and audio calling a lot and millions of other iphone users do too.
    I dont have Whatapp and not everyone I know has that app installed either.
    Its a big drawback to have native facetime functionality disabled.
    There are other options out there but they are not the same.

15. foxconn Suspended

I use WhatsApp for group chats with friends who love their green bubbles. If you are my friend and have an iPhone and are messaging me in WhatsApp, you get blocked. I will respond to you on iMessage and iMessage only.

16. NickosD macrumors newbie

That's because some countries have a law that demand a shutter sound for every photo taken.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I know, there's all kinds of weird laws, that's one of them.

18. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

You said "who uses Facetime anyway" like NOBODY uses it just because an app called Whatsapp is available. LOTS OF PEOPLE use FaceTime. Just because YOU don't, doesn't mean ****. You might want to rephrase your statement.