Is there a specific reason the 15-inch rMBP has a speaker grille?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PDFierro, Aug 11, 2013.

1. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Just something I've been curious about. How come the 15-inch rMBP still has a speaker grille? I know this used to be normal on a MBP, but it seems like Apple is removing stuff like this from now.

And from what I can tell, the sound on the 15-inch is not that much better than on the 13. The grille just kind of contributes to the large size of the 15, so I was wondering.

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

It needed something next to the keyboard, and the screen is the main thing that contributes to its large size. :)

3. borgqueens macrumors member

borgqueens

I personal think the speakers on the side looks nice and for me it is a better place to have the sound comming out rather then from the backside as it is on my MBP 13"

4. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Yes, I agree. It just has room for it.

5. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Okay. Either your logic is extremely twisted, or you have committed major fallacy.

I think they should've removed the grilles on the 17" MBP as well, that way the MBP would have the same footprint as the 13".

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

So you can hear the speakers.

It's not just the grille. It's the stuff behind it as well.

7. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

it has larger speakers plus wheres the sound gonna come out?

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

In my limited understanding of how speakers function that's where the sound comes out.

9. zipur macrumors 6502

I agree with the OP's comments. If they removed the speakers they could add a number pad to the keypad.

10. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Apple specifically doesn't put number pads on their notebook keyboards (even on the 17" MBPs) because that would put the main typing portion of the keyboard off center from the laptop and the trackpad.

11. PDFierro thread starter macrumors 68040

That was not the point I was making. Also, to other comments, you don't need visual speaker grilles in order to hear the sound. They can be hidden, obviously.

12. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Actually this very well could've happened, had apple gone for a tiny screen bezel.. The 17" could really have had the footprint of at least a 15"

13. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

i think thats where the sound comes out.. but i could be very wrong... who knows? there might be a hidden thunderbolt 2.0 port under there.

14. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

I think they did it for aesthetics only.

Poor paint job.

[​IMG]

15. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

Luckily they didn't, at least I'd have passed the rMBP if that was the case. With the numpad the main part of the keyboard would not be centered anymore, and to make typing without accidental mouse movement possible the trackpad would have to be moved too.

Your preferences might be different, but I might need a numpad maybe once or twice a month, so the slightly more inconvinient typing that the off-center keyboard brings really would not be worth it.

As for the speaker grills: the size of the chassis is pretty strictly limited by the display. Apple has a very good habit of making all their keyboard as similar as possible, so with a larger screen there's bound to be space around the keyboard. So why not make that space useful?

16. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi