Is there a subsidy or not? If locked why does it matter?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by acrafton, Jun 9, 2008.

1. acrafton macrumors 6502

Did Steve actual mention a subsidy along with the $199 price?

If they are still locked and you HAVE to go with ATT why is there a subsidy? The "to sell more IPhones" doesn't cut it because (legit) users still HAVE to go to ATT unless it is unlocked at a higher price and activating with ATT new account gives you the $ savings.

Or. . .is this just a way to make sure that upgrades have to pay full boat?

Confused. . .

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Subsidies would matter because anyone buying an iPhone regardless of any contract with AT&T or not, would have to pay 399(or whatever the unsubsidized price would be) up front, and then get there money back)

To me it looks like its 199/299 upfront, with no subsides. Good for those already in contract.

3. acrafton thread starter macrumors 6502

Unfortunately I don't think so. . .this is from ATTs site:

* With a two-year contract, the price of an 8GB iPhone 3G will be $199; the 16GB model will be priced at $299.
    * Unlimited iPhone 3G data plans for consumers will be available for $30 a month, in addition to voice plans starting at $39.99 a month.
    * Unlimited 3G data plans for business users will be available for $45 a month, in addition to a voice plan.

4. Pantocrator macrumors member

The subsidy would matter if people were considering switching phone companies for it. Everyone knows you can unlock the thing, plus, US is the only country it seems where there is only one carrer.

5. harlemink macrumors member

cranky

So what's the price without a new agreement? What if I'm already a gophone customer?:mad: