Is there a System tools for a MAC?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ferri1c, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Ferri1c macrumors member

Its been about a month with my first MAC. I was wondering is there a system tools on this? My old PC had disk defray and erasing cookies etc.

What are some things you do to keep your MAC running its optimum ability?

Thanks in advance.

2. Apple OC, Jan 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2011

Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

try system preferences ... and utilities (in your Apps)

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need to do any regular maintenance to keep your Mac (not MAC) running properly. Mac OS X doesn't require user involvement to keep it running properly, unlike Windows.

Searching the forum with MRoogle will usually find answers to most of your questions:

Maintenance in OS X - is it necessary?
    Mac maintenance - what to do daily/weekly/monthly?
    Mac monthly maintenance?

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

As said above, you don't need anything like you do for Windows to keep OS/X in tip-top shape. I've been a Mac user since 2007 and I've never had to "clean" it once, or format and reinstall because the OS got too mucked up like Windows.

But if you're having issues with the permissions or other weird stuff, there is Onyx that many people recommend. I have it, but have never needed to use it.

5. engaged44 macrumors member

yah man no worries. pretty sure os x defrags and all that stuff on it's own.

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Let OSX do all the work for me.

7. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

You can try Disk Utility in Applications to verify your permissions and repair your permissions; although I don't know what that means. :eek:

8. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

OSX runs a lot of maintenance scripts in the background. You can use Onyx (mentioned above) to manually execute this scripts whenever you want.

It is good practice to repair permissions every once in a while, there isn't much else to do. Onyx will also do this for you.

9. davidlv macrumors 65816

First, it's "Mac" not "MAC", which stands for something completely different (check it out on Google).
    Next, aside from the System Preference panes, there is Disk Utility located in the Applications/Utilities folder, used to partition verify and repair disks or to repair the disk permissions. The freeware Oynx, can run maintenance scripts, etc. In general OSX does all the necessary maintenance, the user doesn't have to worry about it much. Flash installers are famous for screwing up file permissions, and some other installers do too, so you can use DU to repair them after installing something if you like.
    I have no idea what the "disk defray" you mentioned is, but it doesn't sound good. :eek: You didn't mean disk defragmentation by chance? OSX takes care of that pretty well and doesn't suffer from fragmentation like older file systems, so unless you are doing serious video editing or the like you can ignore it. Cookie management can be problematic, it is hard to tell which are necessary and which are useless garbage. There are ways to delete them etc. Try searching for related threads if you are concerned about them.
    In conclusion, relax, having a Mac is much les stressful than running windows!

10. Timur macrumors 6502a

Timur

OS X only defrags small files (where it makes most sense), but sometimes you might want to defrag a large file. To do that you can either buy third-party software, clone the drive to another one (which will both sort and defrag all files) or just move a single file off the drive and back on to it (OS X will try to find a place where it fits in nicely).

Best way is to get a second drive and clone back and forth via Carbon Copy Cloner or Disk Utility. That will not only give you a perfectly defragged and sorted drive, but also a fully bootable backup (even from USB/Firewire).

Since Vista Windows does defrag runs in the background, too. It's not exactly "magic" you know.

OS X can get bloated with certain extensions that ain't uninstalled properly when you try lots of hardware accessing software or drivers. The "Library" folders can also get bloated because of a missing general Uninstall mechanism. But generally you are good to go.

11. Malene Espensen macrumors newbie

Re:

First, it's "Mac" not "MAC", which stands for something completely different

Agree with you davidlv its Mac not MAC i dont understand why people misconcept Mac with (MAC- media access control)
    Disk utility can do everything like manage,partition,repair,resize, and more...

but how can we clone a Mac drive or volume ???

12. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

carbon copy cloner

sudo periodic daily weekly monthly runs some maintenance scripts.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Disk Utility can do that, as well. So can Carbon Copy Cloner.

14. wct097 macrumors 6502

What user involvement does Windows require to keep it running properly? :confused:

I see that comment a lot around here, along with comments about Windows slowing inexplicably after several months. I've never found that to be the case.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

While there are differences between different versions of Windows, some of the things that have plagued Windows are a failure to release RAM when closing applications, requiring periodic reboots to free RAM, corrupted Windows Registry from installation and removal of applications, fragmentation of hard drives, system resources consumed by anti-virus software, etc. There are many more. One of the reasons I'm glad I migrated to Mac OS X is I now get to just use my computer, rather than spending a good of time cleaning it up and maintaining it.

16. Malene Espensen macrumors newbie

Yeah i know some like CCC, Stellar Drive Clone which is newly introduced
    but i just want to know how to clone using Disk Utility..

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

How much do you want to know? Enough to try this? :D